adding a network printer between mac and pc

Reaction score
ok, there is a total of 4 computers in our house, 3 PCs and then my iMac, but only one printer, how would i set that up so we all print from there. My iMac and 1 of the PC's is connected to the internet 24/7, my brothers switch on and off daily to play xBox live and PS3 live, if that makes a difference. I already have everyone set up on a network to share files, but i cant figure it out for a printer. please help me and im sorry if this isnt the right location to post this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Easy solution - pick an IP number from your network like 192.168.1.99 and make this printer this fixed IP number. Easy to remember and you can add IP printers real easy. Bonjour sounds easy but never tried it. The IP method only works for networkable (ie Ethernet connected) printers.

How is your printer connected to others on your network?

OP
G
Reaction score
via parallel cable to the pc (i think) its an older printer so w/e it came with,i dont have that port on this imac so... idk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
If your printer is so old as to require a parallel point, I would suggest getting a either an Ethernet or Wireless adapter for it. Belkin and others make them, and you can then do as suggested: Give it an IP address and keep on printing.

Hmm - I just checked the pricing on www.staples.com and a wireless-g print server is $89 - $119, and a new HP printer with built in 802.11g is $129.

OP
G
Reaction score
yeah, i dont have a wireless router here. and i dont really wanna but a new printer, so.... looks like im stuck with it for now, thanks for the help guys.

OP
G
Reaction score
ok, i figured id dig up this thread instead of making a new one.

the printer is connected via USB to the PC, i enabled file and printer sharing on the PC along with printer sharing on my Mac. and... im getting nothing. all that shows up is a bluetooth fax machine which doesn't exist in this house. im lost.

Reaction score
You need to use the Printer Setup Utility on the Mac, press Alt when selecting More Printers and you will get the Advanced option, then you can use the Samba printing option to a shared printer on the PC.

OP
G
Reaction score
well, i feel like a complete retard right now. the printer is USB also, i must have just neglected to see the port. plug it in, turn it on, the computer recognizes it fine. but it says "Communication error with the printer. Please reset (or turn on) the printer and try printing again." ill turn off the printer and turn it back on only for it to do the same thing. technology is lame.

OP
G
Reaction score
ok, so. i have yet to get a definite answer for either question.

i have a Linksys WRT54G Wireless router, all 4 ethernet ports are being used by 2 PC's, an XBOX and my iMac. The router is in my dads office down stairs along with the desired printer id like to use as a network printer for my iMac and other PC upstairs.

The printer is a USB printer, that is plugged into dad's PC. Now, would i have to enable File and Printer Sharing on both PC's and my iMac or just dads PC? Is there any special programs i need to download? or settings i need to enable aside from what i have stated above? If someone could essentially walk me thought he process or give me a link with a solid step by step process, id appreciate it greatly.

Second question, I have a separate USB printer i could use, if it would let me. It is an Epson Stylus Photo 870, if i plug it into my computer it will recognize it right away, but when i go to print something there is a delay and a n error window saying "Communication error with the printer. Please reset (or turn on) the printer and try printing again." Ill do that it nothing changes. Could it be a driver issue? I am running out of ideas?

Reaction score
Ok, Unfortunately I don't have the money to buy new equipment - I have a PC with windows Xp, and a printer connected to the pc via usb (no ethernet capacity on printer) I have the pc and the mac sharing internet through a router (not wireless) and I have sharing enabled for the printer. The printer is a lexmark x3430, and the mac laptop is running OS 9. How do I get the mac laptop to see the windows pc (for filesharing) and the printer connected to the pc to network print from the laptop??

Reaction score
if it makes it easier, it's an appleworks database that I need to print. If anyone knows how to convert it to a format that windows can read I can email it to myself and get it on the pc that way and print it from there, that is if theres a format it can be converted to that windows can read.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.