Windows XP (SP2) - what to do?

Reaction score
I recently switched from a PC to an iMac 24", which I love. I really only have one PC software that I need to use with Bootcamp. I have a couple of questions:

1) I installed Bootcamp and Windows XP (SP1). I realized I allotted too much space for the Windows operating system, so I wanted to restart, this time allocating much less space. Well, I accidentally deleted Bootcamp from the Utilities folder, thinking that it was simply the partition that I had created. How do I reload Bootcamp by itself? Does my OS-X disk allow me to simply reload Bootcamp, or will I have to reload the whole operating system?

2) Okay, I now realize OS-X doesn't work with XP (SP1), which I have on a disk. Is there an inexpensive way of getting XP (SP2) on a disk? I really don't want to spend anything . . .

OP
W
Reaction score
I still have my PC. Would it be possible to create a folder on my Mac, download XP-SP2 into that folder, transfer the folder to my PC and follow the "slipstream" process that way?

I briefly read the slipstream process; man, that's pretty involved for a lightweight like me.

Reaction score
I will suggest different approach to this solution:

If you use VMWare fusion for your XP that will work really fast :) you will have automatically mounted your home directory form MAC OS X so you can share file between, by using spaces on mac you can work on booth of them at the same time and don’t see any difference.

By doing that you will save disk space since you can allow 20GB for VMWare image but this will grow with your system so at the banging if your XP will require just 1,5GB of space that’s the image size :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Kinley:

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that. But the one PC software program that I want to use in a digital video editing program (Sony Vegas 8). I've been told that the VMFusion virtual machine is not as good as having the program run via Bootcamp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Wombat33

The slipstream method seems complicated but it's not really.
Just print-out the instructions and follow them on your PC.
No you can not do this on the mac as it needs windows.....
You could install XP under VMfusion and slipstream it that way as well..

Reaction score
How much RAM do you have in iMAC ? If 1GB at least, that should be fine for VMWare since XP runs quite ;) ok with 512MB once you turn off all the unnecessary effects. Of course if you have 2GB of RAM in iMac I would not even bother with bootcamp. On my macbook I have 1GB of ram and Win XP runs faster under VM than XP on my desktop - Celleron 2.4 GHz with 1GB of RAM, sATA so that should give you some brief of situation and efficiency.

OP
W
Reaction score
I have 1.5 gigs of RAM. You know, I guess I should at least TRY your suggestion before going through the hassle of insisting on Bootcamp.

I guess, though, that I still have to have XP (SP2) even with VMFusion, right? [Or, will SP1 work?]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can install and run any version of windows, dos, linux etc.
So Yes Windows SP1 will be ok
(see my above post...Install Windows SP1 in VMfusion and if this doesn't give you exactly what you need then you can create a windows XP SP2 slipstream disk and use this to create a bootcamp windows installation.)

OP
W
Reaction score
Doggone it! I meant to say I have 3GB of RAM, not 1.5GB.

So, looks like I'll be loading up the ol' VMFusion program and seeing how things work. Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way what is the one piece of software that you need to use?
There may be a mac equilivent..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.