RAID drive advice

Reaction score
Hello all.

I want to buy a back up device/external storage - for the time being to connect via firewire/usb, but maybe in the future to attach to a LAN in a NAS type configuration. I'm considering buying a RAID device so that I can have some redundancy built in, anyone had any experience of this or any recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I'm a huge fan of Buffalo Technology's TeraStations. They are Gig Ethernet and/or USB 2.0 connections, support OS-X, Windows/SMB, FTP, and Active Directory. Also, you can set set username/password access to be managed / monitored on the box itself if that's your only security option. Management is via web GUI.

I've got the 2 TB model, config'd as 1.5 TB Raid 5.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/terastation/terastation-pro-ii/

OP
T
Reaction score
Wow that's a substantial piece of kit! One for the future maybe. Slightly out of my price range at the mo at approx £1000 but I guess you can't get all of the things you'd like for a low price. The search continues!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
D-link makes a 2 drive enclosure where you can select the drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Heh. I Didn't even look to see where you were at.
Yes, it's expensive, but when I decided to make the jump, the first thing I did was determine the cost for building my own setup, using off-the-shelf components and a linux-based OS for the actual server. There was only a $40 price difference, and would have only had me for warranty support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.