Turns itself on when plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Can someone tell me if there's a setting for this that I'm missing? If I plug my macbook in to charge it while it's off, immediately after plugging in the power it will turn on, even though the lid is closed. Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
so the computer is turned off (completly, not sleeping)
you plug in your power cord
and it turns on (boots up)

is that correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Does a Macbook have this option checked

20080107-rpj4aqdgcqjkbnbujmg3ssmrt6.jpg

This may be a wild guess I'm sorry if it's barking up the wrong tree

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GHz Black Intel Core Duo Macbook, 2 GB Ram, 100 GB HD, 60 GB black iPod Video, 8 GB iPhone
Thanks for your responses. NPuter, yes that is correct. Kilted, that's a really good guess but I just looked and I don't have that box checked...

Reaction score
hey mine does the same when i try to charge the battery with it switched off it auto boots up. I have also checked the power failure icon and it is not activated any ideas or maybe warranty issue

Reaction score
Did you try leaving the battery out and seeing if it starts up when plugging power into it?

Reaction score
mine also does this but if i leave it for 30 secs it will sleep again

OP
Fromasta Flex
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine also does this but if i leave it for 30 secs it will sleep again

The problem is if I want to charge it OFF I can't, it apparently has to be sleeping, or I have to plug it in, wait for it to turn on, then turn it off again to charge it off. It doesn't make sense that the act of plugging it in turns it on!? :Sleeping: :Angry-Tongue:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Blackbook 1gb/160gb
Does it turn-off if you unplug it without messing with anything? If so I would just leave it as it is, it won't hurt anything with it being in will it?

Reaction score
I'm looking for a solution, not a compromise or a workaround. Apple didnt give me a compromise in the price, so I expect it to work, or at least to be provided with a reason.

Reaction score
I work as a tech at a middle school and we have 64 macs that have this problem. When they are left for a while without being charged and then when they start charging they all turn on. Even if they are completely off. We have already had to get plenty of the computers batteries replaced because of it. Maybe apple just wants us to buy extra batteries but i could really use a solution to this problem.

Another thing is that it only happens to the newer macbooks. We have macbooks from 2006, 2005 but those ones do not have the problem. The only ones that have the problem were the ones purchased in 2007. It could be because the 2007 ones have leopard. I don't know.

Reaction score
Add me to the list of people it effects. In fact, I started a thread about it about a week ago.

Reaction score
possible turn on fix

if you go into system properties and then system saver. click on the schedule button towards the bottom right and see if you have it scheduled to wake at a certain time. if it misses this time when it is off ac power, the next time you plug it in it will turn on because it missed its scheduled turn on.
hope this helps.

Reaction score
I´ve the same problem with a brand-new macbookair,

Can someone tell me if there's a setting for this that I'm missing? If I plug my macbook in to charge it while it's off, immediately after plugging in the power it will turn on, even though the lid is closed. Thanks in advance...

It turns on itself when plugging the power cord!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.