Overflow: A short review

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Overflow
I remember using Overflow when I first got a mac. Then I started using Quicksilver and it all went away. Long after that I see Jobs introduce Stacks. And the grid stack pretty much did was Overflow did so I thought it was a dead app. But not quite.

I tried it out today, and I must say, it is holding out on it's own.

- There's no fancy animation like in the Grid stack so it's faster. In fact, very fast, with almost no delay.
- The icons are pre-cached in so there's no delay there either.
- You can customise the apps, their order, groups and such.
- Adding important folders in there is also a plus.
- Right-click menu for a list of files/folders/apps.
- You can put it on the left side of the dock!

Reaction score
I have tried it out when I switched also (a while back now) and really liked it but then I read some tutorials on how to use quicksilver and got so hooked that no other launcher type app has made it to my mac...

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even Leopard's spotlight is very capable of doing some serious app launching. But sometimes if I'm just mousing around, I don't feel like using the keyboard, Overflow is just the tool for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I got a free promotional license of Overflow a while ago. I've been using it ever since. I don't like having too many apps in the dock and this brings more up with the push of a button. I don't remember if I ever tried Quicksilver but I don't think I'll bother as Overflow does what I need it to.

Reaction score
for me the reason why I stuck with quicksilver was that it is so much more than just an app launcher or a spotlight alternative.
plugins that I really like are the itunes plugin and the pasteboard plugin for example...but I guess there is a lot more than that...unfortunately I just don't have the time to explore quicksilver to the fullest maybe when I have more free time I'll try some new plugins:)

OP
goobimama
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicksilver is a totally different trip. It's not merely a launcher. @parotch should try it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.