Menu Bar Items keep dissapearing...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.16 GHz 250Gb HDD 2.5Gb RAM
Gaah! This is sooo annoying! It always happens and has happening for like a month :Oops:

20080107-1nrk4hhm9hjfay7e3mdsg9j4hn.jpg

^^Pretty much everything has dissapeared

20080107-8he2mt4byyf4nqixhpcjhbxwpg.jpg

^^Now the volume button has dissapeared.

So i click the volume button, then it highlights it and it shows up, but it stays highlighted. I click again, and it diappears. Then i click it again and its fine.

Itll stay fine till i open some other app or window and gosh its so annoying.

M

MacHeadCase

A restart maybe?

Or MainMenu from Santa Software to clean out all the caches, restart and see if this solves it or not.

Report back to let us know how it goes. :)

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just downloaded that and its a sweet app, but the menu bar is still acting crazy. Right now the language bar has dissapeared :(

M

MacHeadCase

Try this as a test: create a new user account. See if the GUI is flaky in that new user too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You quite likely have a 3rd-party app that is the root of the issue. My guess is one of the menu bar add-ons that you are running (I see you have a few) or something like ShapeShifter that modifies the look of the UI. You'll pretty much have to root it out by disabling one at a time until the problem stops.

M

MacHeadCase

Ooh! Excellent call, lifeisabeach! That could be the problem!

I was trying to think of something that would affect the menubar in pref files, etc. but since I don't use GUI enhancers, I never think of those. DOH! :)

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, it works fine in the new user account. Its just in mine :(

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You quite likely have a 3rd-party app that is the root of the issue. My guess is one of the menu bar add-ons that you are running (I see you have a few) or something like ShapeShifter that modifies the look of the UI. You'll pretty much have to root it out by disabling one at a time until the problem stops.

The thing is the problem started way before i added the istat menu add ons. I installed istat last week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ooh! Excellent call, lifeisabeach! That could be the problem!

I was trying to think of something that would affect the menubar in pref files, etc. but since I don't use GUI enhancers, I never think of those. DOH! :)
Yah... and I forgot to suggest making a new account myself (usually my first thought!) so we got each other's back there. LOL! I had a similar problem in Tiger at one time also... pretty sure it was ShapeShifter or some menu extra item, thus my gut instinct...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing is the problem started way before i added the istat menu add ons. I installed istat last week.

I'm not familiar with iStat... did it add ALL the menu extra items I see in your screenshot, like the iTunes control bar (I assume iTunes), temperature display, etc?

Since your "new" user has no issues, something you are running or loading on login is the culprit. You'll have to root it out. You'll find your login items under the Accounts preference panel, and in ~/Library/Startup Items.

OP
Nabooly
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so i disabled the clock and date from the menu. I originally used the trick through system preferences.
And i just discovered that the istat comes with a date and time add on. Nothing seems to be locking up (crosses fingers)

20080107-tmynbtfg82g18cihme4pkaucnq.jpg

M

MacHeadCase

No, it works fine in the new user account. Its just in mine :(

Well this means that it is software related and it is something that you use in your old account or maybe a pref file that is corrupted in your old account. And if iStat has menu items, it could be the source of your problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
iStat menus works fine for me (one of the best programs installed on my computer) with no problems whatsoever...

and lifeisabeach: iStat does not add that iTunes control thingy (just wanted to throw that out ;))

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so i disabled the clock and date from the menu. I originally used the trick through system preferences.
And i just discovered that the istat comes with a date and time add on. Nothing seems to be locking up (crosses fingers)

Aha! That's it! I had modified my Date/Time display on my old G5 using a trick I had read about to show the entire date by copying/pasting fields in the Preferences. When I got a Mac Pro, I migrated my users and I had the same problem you are having just on my user (for some reason, my wife wasn't affected even though she had the same trick used).

Anywho... the problem vexed the **** outta me. I eventually was able to narrow down the problem to some invisible file in my user library. I don't recall which file it was.... I basically solved the problem by backing up my Library and then deleting entire subfolders and files in an orderly manner until the problem went away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh... anyways... to fix your problem...

First you need to get Finder to show invisible files. There's many a tool to do so...
Don't forget to turn back on your custom date display (and turn off iStat's date/time module)

Next... make a backup copy of your User Library.
Next... in your User Library, delete one "invisible" file from the Library at a time. The correct file, whichever it was, has a . in front of it. Reboot after each file deletion. If the file you deleted didn't fix the problem, then restore it from your backup (though most likely, the System automatically made a new copy anyway when you logged back in).
Eventually you'll find the right one. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.