Setting up iMac for live music and MIDI

Reaction score
I recently switched from PC to iMac and realized I can no longer attach my live instruments (mic, keyboard, guitar).

My PC has a third party audio card that has several jack inputs and MIDI in/out but the iMac has only one small jack audio input and a few USB ports.

My setup is: keyboard, guitar, and microphone all go into a mixer. The mixer's out is two large jacks, stereo, this is what normally connects to the computer. Also, my keyboard has a MIDI cable.

All I can think of to do is get a twin large jack to one small jack converter for audio input and then get a MIDI to USB converter for MIDI.

Is this the solution? Anyone have a better suggestion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Well my live setup consists of an MOTU Ultralite, which is the ULTIMATE portable interface. You might want to check out M-Audio's line of USB and Firewire external devices (Firewire 410 or Firewire Audiophile).

OP
drh3010
Reaction score
My PC's audio card is M-Audio. The same as the Audiophile 192 but an older model.

I don't want to spend too much money but thanks for the tip.

EDIT: That MOTU Ultralite is sweet! Maybe I don't need to pay my mortgage this month :0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Your forgetting the Fireface 400 which is simply better in almost every way versus to the Ultralite..

Rimmer

Uh oh, another interface war! I looked at the Fireface 400, it is also an amazing card, but out of my price range and had features that I didn't need. I choose the MOTU because a TON of laptop DJ's and producers use it and love it.

Reaction score
Uh oh, another interface war! I looked at the Fireface 400, it is also an amazing card, but out of my price range and had features that I didn't need. I choose the MOTU because a TON of laptop DJ's and producers use it and love it.

Sure. I wasn't really nagging atcha.. More that you made a big claim that I thought I had to pulled you up on..

I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that they actually work, let alone give us some time left to make some music.. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
Sure. I wasn't really nagging atcha.. More that you made a big claim that I thought I had to pulled you up on..

I suppose we should count ourselves lucky that they actually work, let alone give us some time left to make some music.. :D

Yeah for real! It is hard sometimes too, getting some gearlust every once in a while! ;)

Reaction score
Yeah for real! It is hard sometimes too, getting some gearlust every once in a while! ;)

I struggled to buy the Fireface as it was at a time I really needed it, but didn't have much cash. Amazing though, for such a small box.. Seemed pricey at the time but it really does shine.. I'm a bit of a recording enthusiast as well so I try to get the best I am likely to be able to afford.. Working pays off sometimes... :D

Regards, Rimmer

Reaction score
the USB to Midi cable is going to be the cheapest method -- but beware driver issues with really cheap cables. Edirol and M-Audio make them for about $40 or so that have good reputations.

For the audio in, you can get a stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at any Radio Shack and plug that into the Mac's audio in, and that should work fine -- mind the input levels to prevent clipping (distortion) on the input.

OP
drh3010
Reaction score
the USB to Midi cable is going to be the cheapest method -- but beware driver issues with really cheap cables. Edirol and M-Audio make them for about $40 or so that have good reputations.

For the audio in, you can get a stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter at any Radio Shack and plug that into the Mac's audio in, and that should work fine -- mind the input levels to prevent clipping (distortion) on the input.

Thanks. All I need is the MIDI to USB converter (the Uno is more than $40 now). I already have a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter somewhere if I can find it. No problem with the clipping, I bought a used Behringer Eurorack MX 802A mixer for $30 years ago at a music shop and it lets me adjust the gain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2.2 dual core.120gb .1gb ram.superdrive.
I have a Roland EG-101 keyboard that I use with my setup.I was using a M-audio uno sport USB to MIDI interface.After checking out the M-audio I control at the Apple store I bought it and took the uno back to Guitar Center.The I control works great,I really like the scroll wheel for playback time adjustment.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Perry

Reaction score
I have a Alesis io 14 firewire interface....but it doesnt work with Leopard...and right now when using in garageband....it only outputs from left channel...wouldn't recommend it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.