Time Machine for Storage and Backup?

Reaction score
Dear All,

Is there any way to get my external hard drive to act as both a storage space (video, etc.) and for backing up my hard drive. Or do I need to look into getting a separate external hard drive to store the video on?

Many thanks, Jon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
If you open the root of the backup drive, you should see a single folder that TM uses. You can use the drive normally. Just don't go into that backup folder.

Aby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4Ghz 2GB ram
You could also just partition the drive - 1 section for time machine, 1 for your own storage. This is what I did, and it's working great.

~Aby

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
You could also just partition the drive - 1 section for time machine, 1 for your own storage. This is what I did, and it's working great.
A good idea, but it locks you into how much space either partition can use. What if TM needs more? What if you want to squeeze an extra video on temporarily?

How much space is recommended for Time Machine?
I don't know the official spec, but I'd say at least your 150% you're internal's drive. I doubled mine... the internal is a 250.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.