Help me decide: Bootcamp vs Parallels..

Reaction score
I now have Leopard with Bootcamp and want to install Windows XP; however, I only have like 32 GB hard drive left and don't really like the idea of partitioning (dedicating) space to Windows up front, not knowing if i'll use it all or not - (I only need one Windows prog at present) - then it becomes wasted space.

Wouldn't it be better in my case to go with something like Parallels Desktop?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I have VMware Fusion. You can specify UP TO x amount of GBs for windows. It will not start off with that much HD dedicated. For instance I allowed up to 10 GB for XP. But it is only using 8 right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I have VMware Fusion. You can specify UP TO x amount of GBs for windows. It will not start off with that much HD dedicated. For instance I allowed up to 10 GB for XP. But it is only using 8 right now.

same here...
I would definitely go for VMware Fusion over Parallels

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
I just read this report on this issue:

http://db.tidbits.com/article/9370

They say Parallels runs XP faster than VMware Fusion, but read the whole article to get a more informed view!

I have been running Parallels on both Tiger and Leopard and it works well especially the cross platform integration.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
That was a very short read.

Here are more shootouts:
http://www.google.com/search?q=parallels+vs+fusion

VMware freely distributes Virtual Appliances. You can download a LAMP server, turn it on, and you're done... serving Apache, MySQL and PHP on a Linux box you didn't have to set up. Some appliances already have mambo/sugar/wordpress/etc already set up. Even Microsoft based appliances (30 day license) with IIS, SQL Server, Windows 200X server!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB White 160GB, 2GB RAM,
If it's for windows XP, virtualisation suffices. But for vista or linux, better to have it on partitions to get all the graphics and features.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 (Santa Rosa) with 1gb (will be upgraded to 4Gb), 120GB hard drive
not sure if this will help you but I am a recent switcher, 2 weeks ago and I am using parallels with XP and I did run vista as well. Parallels works great!!! can't ask for anything more....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.