Desktop/Dock problem

C

Chris Gough

Hi...my Desktop has gone all strange on me. The Dock has disappeared, the Desktop picture has been replaced by a flat blue and the various icons on the Desktop are surrounded by heavy black frames which once you click anywhere, grow in size so that the whole icon area becomes a black background. Also, the minimize button no longer works. When I go to System Preferences>Desktop, SP just 'quits unexpectedly'. I've tried the Hardware Test disc, no problems found. Everything else seems to work fine - eg I can go to hard disc, open Applications and start things from there. But I'd like my Desktop and Dock back. I'd greatly appreciate any ideas, comments etc from anybody. Cheers, Chris G.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hmmm, well the imaging issues sound like the contrast has been turned up in the 'visual aids' dialogue.

If System preferences won't open for you, download a tool off versiontracker.com (forgotten the name - I'll look it up later) that lets you install only the parts off the panther disc that you need (in your case sys. prefs.)

I had a similar problem once where system prefs would crash when I opened the deesktop dialogue...that fixed it for me..

OP
C

Chris Gough

Thanks for this, I'll check it out later, let you know what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
Try restarting the computer and repairing disk permissions

OP
C

Chris Gough

Made some progress, got Dock and Desktop back - it was a .plist problem of some sort and to be honest I don't quite know what I did to fix it! However, Sys Prefs still crashes when I click on Desktop settings, so will persevere with following the various bits of advice. Thanks to everybody who responded, great help and good for the morale!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The app you need to reinstall your system preferences is called pacifist (www.versiontracker.com)

It'll let you reinstall the parts of OS X you need to fix...

OP
C

Chris Gough

Hey that's great - everything now fixed ( I think!). What a useful and easy to use utility - thanks for that, Cheers, CG

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.