File removed...how can I get back?

Reaction score
We had a folder on our mac with a lot of work in it. The folder was named with a space so:

my folder

We then set up another folder via dreamweaver named "my" but when we went to pull stuff from "my folder" it was gone. How can I get that folder back???

I'm running leopard and don't have history enabled as it isn't connected to an external harddrive.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have you carried out a Spotlight search for the folder? Maybe it has been put away with an application when you were working on it last.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We had a folder on our mac with a lot of work in it. The folder was named with a space so:

my folder

We then set up another folder via dreamweaver named "my" but when we went to pull stuff from "my folder" it was gone. How can I get that folder back???

I'm running leopard and don't have history enabled as it isn't connected to an external harddrive.

Thanks!

Have you tried using spotlight to search for "my folder" (hint: surround it in quotes, so that you're specifying that you want to search for those two words together).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Yep, the only one is shows is one I put in a 'backup' folder about 8 hours ago.

Hmmm... it's got to be there somewhere. Maybe try EasyFind? EasyFind differs from Spotlight in that it will actually dredge your entire hard disk, rather than just search the indexes that Spotlight makes of your drive.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the EasyFind suggestion but it didn't find it either. It's weird, I'm not sure why dreamweaver would have deleted it when creating the new folder and I was hoping even if dreamweaver deleted it, it would be somewhere on the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Have you tried "Open Recent" in dreamweaver? If you haven't opened anything new besides the new folder you created it should still be there, and as long as it wasn't deleted (which it shouldn't have been according to what you're saying) it should find it (and open it) wherever Dw may have put it.

But then again if it's a folder it might not be in that list. Perhaps if you use file>open it might have a "preferred places/preferred saved places" pane (photoshop usually does), and if you've saved a lot there you can select it. Then just right click and hit "show in finder".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Did Time Machine catch it? That would be easy to restore from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.