QT Fullscreen Playback Choppy in Leopard?

Reaction score
Ever since switching to leopard I find that if I try to run videos in fullscreen they play back slow and choppy. However when I play them in VLC they run fine.

Im not sure if its a codec issue (i have perian installed) but im not sure, perhaps it's just quicktime??

At first I thought it might just be Xvid/Divx files, but it's also occuring with my own films that I've exported from Final Cut.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 13" Unibody White
Ever since switching to leopard I find that if I try to run videos in fullscreen they play back slow and choppy. However when I play them in VLC they run fine.

Im not sure if its a codec issue (i have perian installed) but im not sure, perhaps it's just quicktime??

At first I thought it might just be Xvid/Divx files, but it's also occuring with my own films that I've exported from Final Cut.

What are your system specs?

OP
E
Reaction score
Just thought I would mention this is on a 1.5 GHz Powerbook G4 with 1.25 gb.

My big monitor is running at 1440x900 butt even on my laptop at 1024x768 its a little laggy.

also I should note that even at "fit to screen" it runs perfectly fine, its just when it goes into full screen mode that I get the lag.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
I don't find that problem and i have a wide variety of films and music videos. Using MacBook 2.16GHz, 1GB Ram at max res.

OP
E
Reaction score
this is so weird... i mean it could be my processor speed (1.5 ghz) but i have 1.25 gb ram, and it always ran FINE in tiger - and also works just fine in VLC...

i know some people are having troubles and its probably a QT issue but I have no idea... perhaps a codec thing? Maybe I'll just go visit an apple store...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you updated the software as there is and update that was released yesterday

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh it sometimes happens if you have multi windows open

OP
E
Reaction score
i have updated the software, and i assume by multi-windows you mean multiple QT windows - which was not the case...

...apprently this is common for PPC users - we'll have to keep waiting and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No i meant multi windows as in all windows open for different programs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I saw this problem mentioned before Christmas. The conclusion seemed to be that is was a QuickTime issue but maybe even a low level Leopard issue too. Some people saw it while others didn't. I can't remember where I saw this mentioned, but I would check on the Apple forums.

Apple just released Qt 7.4 so you might want to try upgrading to that. IF you are not a pro doing some kind of video/audio editing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.