Disk Failure (S.M.A.R.T: Fail)

Reaction score
Hello,

Yesterday my computer completely stopped booting: it would freeze at the apple logo with the rotating loading icon. After booting from the Leopard CD and running Disk Utility I had the error message (see attached image). After closing Disk Utility the Leopard setup started so I thought "What, might as well try it" so I went out for a while and left the Leopard setup open. I came back a few hours later, my imac was booted on my old installation of Leopard, all my files / programs still there.

I then launched Disk Utility within Leopard, and got the same error message (see attachment again). It says I should backup everything and replace my hard drive by a "working device".

The error message seems kind of obvious but I was wondering, from past experiences, what does it really mean? I have an external hard drive, should I hurry, back up everything and go buy a new drive as soon as possible? I find it weird it booted if it's THAT critical...

Any advice?

Picture 3.png

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Backup and get another drive soon. Have always replaced mine as soon as I got any type of message like that. It's just never been worth the chance at waiting for it to completely fail.

Have seen drives like this never boot again, and have seen them boot sporadically for 2-3 months.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Like bobtomay said, it is warning of impending disk failure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.