tech ?, overheating solutions????

Reaction score
hi

I like the many many many Mac users with the G5 have the overheating problem, ( overheats and goes into sleep mode repeatidly) making it an almost useless computer!

my serial doesnt qualify for the recall thing ( I think my serial is like W854XXXXXX) can anyone tell me if theres any options on fixing this problem??

I've been a Mac user since my first computer ( in '98) then in 2000 I upgraded and bought a new one, then on my birthday (Dec.30 2005) bought this 20 inch desktop. busted my butt to buy it in cash, never had a real problem with my old ones, just they were slower and a smaller screen,... one month to the DAY my logic board fried on this G5!

I'm begining to lose faith in Apple products,are there any solutions to dealing with this overheating issue? I put my processor at "Reduced" as suggested by some people,but no good. I downloaded a temp widget,.. shut my computer off for the night,.. with in less than a 1/2 hour,.. this was my current reading
Picture1-6.png

I thank you in advance for any help!
I'm ready to pull an "Office Space" on this thing with a bat!!! even just typing this post its gone off a dozen times!!!!!:Shouting: :Shouting: :Shouting: :Shouting:

OP
friedbologna
Reaction score
thanks for the move,.. I honostly didnt have time to look around the forum with my computer shutting on and off every few seconds. so I wasnt sure were to post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Need more info, is it a desktop tower or an imac?

M

MacHeadCase

This looks like a first gen iMac G5 and these had a lot of problems.

Are you still under warranty (extended Apple Care)? I would take it in and get it looked at: they might not advertise it but maybe Apple is more lenient on repairs for that line of iMac G5s, it's a chance worth taking, anyhow.

OP
friedbologna
Reaction score
my warranty was for a year when I bought it, like I said I bought it cash so I had just enough to buy the computer and not the extended warranty ( looks like I should have) so now it seems I'm screwed. I heard of Apple extending warranties on certain model numbers, mine is off by a few numbers ( which sucks)

if you type in Google "imac g5 going into sleep mode" you find so many people with the same problem.and it being said its an overheating issue.when purchasing this G5 I asked the guy at the Apple store " if I buy this thing,.. is there going to be a new model in a few months??" ofcourse he said no,..what happenes? a few months later they came out with the same model with the Pentium Processor, which I assumed helped with the overheating issues.

this all didnt start 'til maybe 5 months ago with the shutting down into sleep mode repeatedly.

M

MacHeadCase

It isn't the salesman's fault. In the tech world, new models happen all the time and Apple rarely leaks info on upcoming models.

Maybe the problem is a faulty power supply, I dunno. You could take in to get it checked: repairs can't be more than a new Mac for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.