• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Double Layer Discs-MBP can't burn!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I am SO CLOSE to finishing my product, I have had my DVD boxes done and the disc designs done on DOUBLE LAYER DISCS.

I have an 18 month MacBook Pro and I recently upgraded to Leopard.

Problem is, before I burn the i-dvd, I go into Project Info and I need to choose the Double Layer in the Disc Type setting but it already says Single Layer (in grey) and it can't be changed. There are up and down arrows to indicate it is a multiple choice drop-down menu but I am unable to change it from Single Layer - Please Help!!!

Incedentally - the i-movie project is too big for single layer by about 15mins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8GB o' RAM, 4.5 TB o' disc space, OS Ecks 10.6.7, etc
I don't think iDVD can burn dual layer discs. I could be wrong, so don't put too much faith in my answer.

Is there any way you could export the project to a VIDEO_TS folder and then burn it with Toast, which does allow dual layer?

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
^ If there is I wouldn't know - besides, I spent a lot of time perfecting the i-DVD menus and extras.

The Apple rep in China said I could burn dual layer discs but I looked under ABOUT THIS MAC and It doesn't have DL next to writable discs which is a serious worry.

I will have to get an external burner methinks.

Is there one that Apple recommend? I am very low on cash so would rather get a cheap one - it's not going to be very often that I need to use it, it's only for very big movie projects i'll be using dual layer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
My MacBook is about 18 months old and it doesn't support DL discs. Make sure you look into if yours supports burning to DL DVDs or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
This is the spec sheet from Apple for the MBP 15".
So according to this can burn dual layer discs.

Specifications

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
160GB Serial ATA drive (5400rpm)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Backlit Keyboard (English) & Mac OS (English)
Bluetooth 2.0

Apple Remote

Power Adapter

Battery

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You are using dual layer media?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Problem is, before I burn the i-dvd, I go into Project Info and I need to choose the Double Layer in the Disc Type setting but it already says Single Layer (in grey) and it can't be changed. ...
Incedentally - the i-movie project is too big for single layer by about 15mins.
Things I've found online say iDVD can write to a dual layer disc.

Sounds to me like you have the original MBP. Mine has a DVD writer that does not support dual layer writing. A search on the internet came up with a couple of hits where people were able to upgrade the firmware that apparently supports it, but no one said it actually worked.

My guess is that since iDVD can't see a dual layer drive, it is not letting you change that setting. So, buy a cheap Pioneer external drive that supports dual layer writing. That is the solution I have when at home. I'm not at home, so can't confirm that this is the solution.

An option might be to change the Encoding selection to 'Professional Quality' if you have the default 'Best Performance' one set. Sure the encoding will have to be redone, but from a quick test here, it looks like it will compress the movie more which may allow it to be placed within the parameters of a single layer sized disc. Although I suspect the drive may not be able to write the single layer of your printed dual layer discs, maybe it can. It needs to be tested.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the external burner is probably going to be your solution, unless you c can buy another internal one. You may need to run Patchburn with the new drive if you are using 10.4 or lower.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
You are using dual layer media?

I don't know, isn't i-movie/DVD sufficient?

An option might be to change the Encoding selection to 'Professional Quality' if you have the default 'Best Performance' one set. Sure the encoding will have to be redone....

Yes I tried that one. :)

I will take it to the i-Studio today and see if I can upgrade the firmware - if not I will have to borrow a little cash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When rman asked about dual layer media, he meant blank dual layer DVD+R discs. That wouldn't matter right now, though, since it doesn't look like you have a proper drive to burn that type of media anyway. You'll have to get another drive and make sure iDVD recognizes it, then you'll be able to switch the project to dual layer and write to a proper DVD+R DL disc.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As was suggested earlier, go under the Apple menu and select about this Mac. The select More Info... After which you click on Disc Burning. If you don't dee +R DL, then this exercise is moot. You will need to get an external dual layer burner and dual layer media.

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
I had already checked under About This Mac and DL isn't listed, however I went to the i-store an hour away from where I live today and to my astonishment, Double Layer was available - Single Layer was no longer default grey and I could choose between the two.

I went all the way back home and it was back how it was.

Very odd - I really don't understand - i-DVD has nothing to do with wi-fi (I have no internet at home) - this is so so odd that a Thai friend has even asked if anyone died in my apartment before I moved in!

The only thing I can think of is to try to re-install i-Life 08 - it must be an i-DVD glitch. My i-Life 08 is a genuine Apple product not a copy.

Can I reinstall i-DVD and just i-DVD without affecting anything else?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the best solution is to only run iDVD at the "i-store". It obviously likes it there. :)

OP
cameronryan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP
Amazingly it decided it could burn DL discs ok and I started the burn, watched TV, made my dinner, watched a bit more TV, went to bed and woke up this morning and shortly after my breakfast it spat out the DVD and said it couldn't do it after all. I wish my MBP could make up it's mind -why couldn't it have told me that SIXTEEN HOURS BEFOREHAND!!!

Anyway, I guess this is a learning curve,part of the trials of a new business.

All I can do is throw away the 20 beautifully printed dual layer blank DVD's which are 9 times more expensive than SL DVD's and have a 2 disc set - one with the 1hr 30 min movie and slideshow and one for the 10 minute highlights preview which will be all on it's own.

Is there anything I can do with the DL's other than put them in the bin?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you have less than 2 hours of content, you should be able to get that on a standard single layer DVD. You will have to make a choose in the encoding preocess to fit it on. under the preference - movies choose either professional quality, high quality, or best performance. In order to get it on a single layer DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.