Volume control opens up Dashboard....so how do I change volume?

Reaction score
Well i just switched to mac like 2 weeks ago and before i could put the volume up by just pressing the volume/f12 key. I was playing with shortchuts and now every time i hit the volume up button Dashboard widgets comes up. When i hit the volume down button ithides my windows....... when i hit the mute button i get spaces.....

how do you undo this? i remmber when i first got it i read a way to turn this on and off....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
go to system preferences << Keyboard & Mouse << hit the keyboard tab up top, and make sure use all F1, F2, etc. keys is unchecked

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The mute/volume keys are F3, 4 & 5 - at least they are on my MacBook and my MacBook Pro. F12 does and always has opened up Dashboard.

Checking or unchecking that particular box in system Preferences only sets whether you want to use the 'fn' key in conjunction with these features or not. It does not move the features around. F11 & F12 remain the same whether that box is checked or not. You can play around with it to see which way you prefer it. I personally keep it checked, as I have other programs that make special use of those keys.

Reaction score
Command F5

I know this thread was made literally years ago but just incase anyone else googles 'mac volume button brings up dashboard' and finds this page in one of the top results - try using command + f5 it might stop it :)

I pressed it when using powerpoint to see if it did the same on mac as it did on pc - but it didn't. i thought i'd been hit by some strange freaky virus. voiceover came on and the f1-0 buttons ****ed up :( but yeah command f5 :)

Reaction score
command + f-5

I know this thread was made literally years ago but just incase anyone else googles 'mac volume button brings up dashboard' and finds this page in one of the top results - try using command + f5 it might stop it :)

You are my HERO! :D:D:D:D:D My macbook was sliding off my desk and i reached out to catch it and hit a bunch of keys but didn't know what, and then all of my F-keys were switched up. Command + f5 worked :D

THANKS THANKS THANKS!:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.