MS Money Using Parallels and XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
In transitioning to my iMac, I thought I would leave behind MS Money to run on my wife's new Thinkpad with Windows Vista. Well, it appears that MS Money doesn't like to run on Vista, as I found out this evening while doing an install of Money 2007. Incredible as it may seem, Microsoft can't even get its own application products to work seamlessly with Vista. And I'm not alone:

http://aspadvice.com/blogs/ssmith/archive/2007/03/19/MS-Money-Vista-Issues.aspx
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/...oft-money-2007-with-windows-live-id-in-vista/

Since I want to continue using Money, I thought I'd install XP on my iMac using Parallels. But before I embarked on this experiment, I would like to get positive feedback from folks who have actually gone this route. Until then, I'm stuck having two separate systems occupying my desk area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Yes anything that will run under windows will run under windows via bootcamp/Parallels/VM Fusion.

Except of course high end games with graphic needs far beyond the spec of your iMac.

Instead of using MS Money 2007 why don't you try a mac equivalent..?

http://www.pure-mac.com/finance.html

Just 1 link I found with google...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I use Fusion to run MS Money on XP and it works just fine. Having said that I'd love to see a mac version - of the software I've looked at nothing else comes close for the UK market.

Reaction score
After almost 6 months of being a mac guy I have to say this is my biggest dissapointment with the "mac" experience. There is no good banking software. I tried going Quicken too bloated, then tried iBank, that should be a freeware piece of software as it's junk. I finally gave up and installed MS Money using Bootcamp. Created a small 5GB partition using Bootcamp and use it for nothing more than my finances. This route works great, or at least it has this weekend. Don't know anything about Parallels but if you've got Leopard Bootcamp is built in and I think it works great. You should give that a look.

Jason

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Try Moneydance 2007?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.2Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 (Santa Rosa) with 1gb (will be upgraded to 4Gb), 120GB hard drive
i've used MS money with vista and all is fine. since i got a mac, i just installed XP and using MS money with parallels. works flawlessly!!!

OP
EORI
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for all of the responses. I'll try Bootcamp first.

As much as I'd like to dump MS Money for a native Mac program, I don't want to lose several years of account information that's accumulated in the Money file. I wonder whether a program like Moneydance has an effective import function.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
MS Money Import to Moneydance

I use Moneydance and think it is a good alternative to Money or Quiken. I use it for online banking--it works seamlessly with my main account, but another bank I use will only allow download of transactions by export to an OFX file which is then saved to desktop and then imported to your financial program of choice.
This is why I know it will import MS Money files (though since I don't use Money I have never directly imported).

Moneydance is a free trial--I would recommend downloading and trying it.

OP
EORI
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Razormac. I'll give it a trial run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
i do not have a problem with quicken 2007. we just started to use it as a check register and budgeting tool. i do not know what else you would use it for. there are a lot of things that i do not use. is that what you mean by bloated? well anyway, my copy was free and the bloatedness does not bother me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.