file in trash won't delete

Reaction score
Hi, i just noticed that i have a file in my trash folder that will not delete.
the name of the file is "␀␀␀õ␀␀.␀␀" it is a zero kb file.
everytime i empty trash, its still there
everytime i right click and click "get info" it deletes but when i click the trash again, it reappears.

any help would be great

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply, but those method did not work. is it possible some put in a spyware/virus on my computer? i was on a open network today.
any more help would be great thanks
and +rep

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
there is no spyware or virus for OS X at this time. you may some type of junk file or something.

OP
M
Reaction score
so, i found the source, it is on my windows parition (boot camp) the problem i face now is it is in the .Trash folder in my c: drive. it will not let me delete, any one know how to delete with command prompt?
thanks again!

Reaction score
same problem

msen612-

I have the same problem right now. Where did you find it in windows? and were you able to get rid of it eventually?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
empty the recycle bin.

Reaction score
-Open the Terminal application
-Enter the following: sudo rm -rf (followed by a single space)
-Open the "My Computer" Finder window that contains the list of mounted drive volumes
-Drag the hard drive containing the file into the Terminal window. This will input the drive's path to the command line ( NOTE: If the drive containing the file is unknown, perform this whole procedure for all available drives.)
-When this is done press backspace ONCE to remove the space at the end of the line.
-Enter "/.Trashes" at the end of the line and press return. It is VERY important that this is entered at the end of the line.
-Authenticate and the files should be removable.

lel

Reaction score
I have the exact same thing along with one other. I have tried the force trash program which does not work - it wont' load, tried changing the name, it won't allow it, it does not show that it is locked, and I have done the code in terminal. None of this works...the files in there seem to sabotage all efforts. I do not have a windows sub disc in there either.

Spooky files...are you sure they are not evil gremlins? HELP!

Reaction score
I had the same problem

I have had the same problem as msen612 a few times a while ago. The file in the trash seemed to have characters that could not be recognized. I was at the time running Windows in Parallels and Ubuntu as a dual-boot partition (BootCamp). I could not remove the file from the trash from the Mac interface or command-line. I also could not delete it from Windows in Parallels (it gave some weird error message) I booted into Ubuntu and was able to delete it from there. I think I had to use the command line, but I know it was removed. I no longer have a dual-boot system, but I think you could boot to the Ubuntu Live CD and not have to actually install it to work. If I knew how to create a corrupt trash file I would test it out.

Also, be very, very careful using the "sudo rm -rf" recommendation above! If you accidentally hit "return" during some of those steps you will delete a whole bunch of stuff that you probably want to keep. It wasn't clear from the directions to _not_ press return until after typing '/.Trashes'.

Those files are extremely annoying and it took me forever to get rid of it. I wish I remembered the exact steps to tell you, but it was long time ago and I have no way to test it now.

Reaction score
eliminar virus mac

Eliminacion de virus
Abre la aplicacion terminal que se localiza dentro de la carpeta aplicaciones en la carpeta utilidades y abre a papelera en modo visualizacion como cover flow, y arrastra el archivo de la papelera a la ventana de terminal, de esta forma te señalara la ruta donde se localiza el archivo raiz, y asi ya podras eliminar la carpeta donde se localiza, suerte bye.

Reaction score
Simple Solution

Just came across this question, and although the original individual who posted it probably figured it out by now, I just experienced this problem myself and found an easy-to-use solution that isn't mentioned on here.

The file that appeared in my trash and that would not delete turned out to be caused (at least in my case) by some sort of problem with the .Trashes folder on the bootcamp partition (that I use to occasionally boot the computer in Windows XP Professional. If you boot your computer into XP, click on the C drive (which should be titled "Boot Camp"), go to tools, folder options, then find the option to unhide hidden files, you will likely see the .Trashes, then a 501 folder (or something of the like), then your problem file.

How to fix it? The following worked for me:

1. Insert Windows XP installation CD
2. Restart the Mac
3. Hold down the Option key
4. When the Windows and Mac disk icons show up, hold down the C button on the keyboard, then a picture of a CD should pop up with the Windows name under it
5. Select the Windows CD, allow the Windows startup menu to load
6. Select the Install windows option
7. Then after clicking install windows (DO NOT click on the recovery panel option!), it will say that it found a version of Windows already on your C drive; select it and then select the option to repair it (I think for XP you need to hold down the R button, but be sure to read it to verify)
8. THen it will do a repair, say that it performed disk "maintenance" or something similar to your hard disk and say it needs to restart by pressing an F key then hitting enter
9. Allow it to restart, and voila, the file should magically disappear when you start it back in Mac OS X

This was startling to me because apparently with Windows installed, somehow, someway the corrupt nature of windows can still affect your Mac partition. Don't ask me how, but this solved my trash can problem and might help you out as well.

Reaction score
And another thing...

Dont forget to check all other attached drives for /.Trashes/502/

Lets not be so quick to blame windows... At least while its not running. :D

Reaction score
Empty the trash problem OSX

I read the thread and wanted say, If you have a problem with the empty your trash of a file that say's "The file is in use and the trash cannot be emptied, try closing the application first." then I suggest after you've made sure there are no applications open, while the trash window is open click on the Finder button and then press the "Secure Empty Trash" button and that should take care of that! : )

Reaction score
try this

So if you are like me and watch movies on your TV from a USB drive hooked up to a device or TV try putting the USB drive back into your mac and then deleting the file. my boyfriend figured this problem out and I felt like an idiot...computers they are the most finniky things ever! if that doesn't work good luck! DISCLAIMER! This only works if you are getting the error message that says the file is still in use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.