WRT54G - Where to begin?

• Thread starter TheMonkeyProjec
  • Start date
T

TheMonkeyProjec

I'm more than sure this has been addressed before, but what I can't seem to get anything to work. I've got a 20" C2D Imac and I just bought a wrt54g router, it's version 8.0 if that matters. I found this website and followed the directions, but i got no results. The network diagnostic tool tells me that "You have an internet connection, but may have spelled google wrong", haha.

At this point I'd even be happy to have the router work as a wired unit.

Somebody PLEASE tell me where to start!!! or should I just take the thing back and wait until I have enough for an airport extreme?

Thanks in advance!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
80GB 6G iPod Classic, 15" 1GHZ Powerbook G4 1GB RAM 60GB HDD
Do you have ANY PC's whatsoever? Since this isn't a "Mac-supported" Router, try setting it up with a PC first. Hopefully you have one. Then you should be able to just search for networks to connect to and walla.

I'm sure you could make it work if you don't have a PC, too.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

Why do you say to hardwire the mac?? and btw, i tried that and couldn't get it...but i'm reading that site...thanks..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
When configuring routers, its recommended to do it with a ethernet cable, as if you click the wrong option, you can disable your wireless access. Linksys routers do work with Macs, even though they say they don't. We are using a Linksys at work.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

oh, right, hardwire it to do the setup. Yeah, i tried that and even hardwired, i had no internet connection

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

weird, i just hooked it up again and it seems to work...wired at least

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

AND wireless...awesome, now what's the easiest way to keep people from stealin' my junk??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Set up MAC address access, and use a WEP2 password.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

so do I get to that through the linksys browser setup? And will I be able to use my Xbox360 with a password?

Reaction score
Once it set up, you can disconnect the hard wire, sorry if I wasn't clear before. The cable connection is all about the initial setup. Once you have established admin over the router you can do anything you want wirelessly. So, cut the cord!

I would forget about MAC address authentication. It works, but it is easily defeated with spoof addresses. I don't know what you mean by WEP2, the whole WEP scheme is pretty weak. I would go straight to WPA with a really good password. Yes, your Xbox will also work.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

I'm running it wireless right now, thank you for all the help, for some reason i tried it again the next day, and it just worked, who knows.

So where do i find these wpa settings to set up a password?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm running it wireless right now, thank you for all the help, for some reason i tried it again the next day, and it just worked, who knows.

So where do i find these wpa settings to set up a password?

WPA (or better yet, WPA2) encryption can be found under the Wireless => Wireless Security tab.

Agreed with Sherman on WEP - WEP is dead, MAC filtering is next to useless. If you're going to take the time to set it up, do it right the first time before you start to get your neighbors used to borrowing your connection.

OP
T

TheMonkeyProjec

ok, so i changed the security settings to this, and suddenly i have no more wireless connection, if i plug the ethernet back in, everything's great. Even if i disable the security, still no wireless. what did i do wrong?

Picture 1.png

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, so i changed the security settings to this, and suddenly i have no more wireless connection, if i plug the ethernet back in, everything's great. Even if i disable the security, still no wireless. what did i do wrong?

After you change it to WPA and you set a password and apply the changes, you then have to go to each one of your wireless devices, terminate the existing connection and reconnect, this time entering your password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
You will need to go into your airport settings and join the SSID again, using the encryption key/ passphrase that you set in the router. That should do it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will need to go into your airport settings and join the SSID again, using the encryption key/ passphrase that you set in the router. That should do it.

I think I hear an echo? :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I think I hear an echo? :D

LOL. For whatever reason, I didn't see your reply when I click on this thread. So I replied as well. Quit reading my thoughts and posting them! ;D

OP
M

MacHeadCase

< Off topic >

If one of you guys has ESP, I'd gladly use your services for buying a winning lottery tickie... :D

< /Off topic >

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.