802.11n and mac pro wired connection

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro 2.66 quad, Ati x1900, 2 500GB drives, 6 mb ram, dual 24"dell monitors
Hi Everyone.,

Ok, this may be really dumb, but I'm still learning.

I have a mac pro without an airport card. It is wired to my router with an ethernet cable.

I want to get an airport base station to take advantage of 802.11n.

Will this machine connect to that speed without an airport card? If I just connect the router I shouldn't need to enable anything fancy, right?
For some reason, I keep reading about the airport card, but that is for wireless, which I have no need for for this machine.

The imac in the other room will connect via wireless.
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
If you're not using Wireless, you computer is already connecting to your network faster than Wireless using 802.11n.

802.11x speeds only apply for wireless connections. Wired connections, regardless are faster.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh really?

I'm glad I asked because I wouldn't have known that.

So now all I have to worry about is the imac in the other room, which is about 100 feet away from the router.
802.11n works for speed but not distance, am I correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If you are wired to a router to get an internet connection and you have an AirPort card in the Mac Pro, you can use that AirPort card to broadcast a wireless signal, like the base station, without having to buy one. I did this with my previous Mac, and Intel iMac.
Go to System Preferences > Sharing > Internet Sharing.
You should be able to setup the SSID and a password protect the network. Enable it and connection to your iMac should be simple.
You save $150 or whatever the base station costs but if the Mac Pro is off, obviously, the Wireless network is down.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, dummy me i didn't get the airport card in my mac, because I knew I'd be hooked to the router.

I will have to see if I can buy it separately and pop it in without having to go the genius (yeah, right) bar at the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My bad. I thought you said you got it installed with the Mac Pro.
I was told over the phone I couldn't buy one. Someone told me here you can bring it into the store and they'll charge you the $30 for the card and install it for free right away.
FastMac has an "N" card for the Mac Pro. You can install it yourself but it is $90. They also sell the Bluetooth board as well but it doesn't have 2.0+EDR (the Apple one does.)
I bought my Mac Pro refurbished so I wasn't able to have either installed. I doubt I would have had them installed if I was able to decide but now I would like to have both. Maybe one day I'll remember to save some cash and bring my computer to the store for an upgrade.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did get the bluetooth installed but not the airport. For $30, I just may have them do it. I will call the apple store.
thanks for the info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.