Looking for note-taking application (similar to OneNote)

Reaction score
Hi
I'm looking for the best mac alternative to OneNote.
The only 2 things i really need are:
- multi-level tabs. Like in OneNote, it has horizontal maintabs and vertical subtabs. I need something similar to that, i don't care exactly how it looks.
- some sort of drawing-tool. In OneNote I can easily make squares, strokes, arrows and stuff like that. That would be nice to have too.

Does anyone know a mac application which has both or one of theese features?

Thanks
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Word for Mac. Use the Notebook view.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi thanks for you replies.

I've checked out the suggested applications. Many of them are pretty similar i think. They are a bit to complicated for me, and I can't really find a decent way to format text, insert images etc.

The only purpose of the application I'm looking for is taking notes in class.
I would like to give each class a specific tab. And for each class I would like some sort of subfanes for dividing the class into main subjects.
And when I take notes I like using arrows and squares to point out important stuff, visualizing connections etc.

Using word:mac's notebook view is very close to what I need. But I don't have the option of making subfanes for each fane, and because the fanes are vertical they are hard to read. A solution could be to make a word-file for each class, but I like having it all together. And when the document is in notebook view I can't draw stuff :)

Please feel free to post other applications.

Thanks
Michael

Reaction score
Download the 30-day trial for Circus Ponies Notebook. I just did that today and transcribed a few day's worth of notes. I have to say it is very simple to use after only a few minutes of getting used to it. You can have a separate notebook for each class, and tabs in that notebook for different things. The program automatically creates and updates a table of contents and searchable index for each notebook as you work.

I just worked with outlines tonight, but I'm pretty much already sold on the program and plan on buying a permanent key for it. I'm anxious to learn more of the ins and outs in order to get the most out of it. There is a message board on their website where you can get more in-depth help and info, too.

(Another cool feature is that it will translate your work into HTML so you can post it online and share/let others view your work in the exact same format. This would be great for online study groups.)

EDIT: Look Here for a LOT more info on this type of thing. I just found this site, but this guy offers a wealth of information regarding using your Mac as a student, law or otherwise. Check out his main page, too. I have it bookmarked and check up on it daily.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.