rebooting

Reaction score
hello,

i have a (used) powermac g4 with os 10.1 (originally with 9.1 when i bought it.) the other day i was having issues with the internet, so i decided to restart it. when it tried to reboot, all i got was a disk with a question mark on it. also, it sounded like a drive or something inside the tower was turning on and off by itself repeatedly. i looked this up on another computer and came across a bunch of sites that described the same type of problem. i tried the suggestions on here,
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58042

none of these worked. another problem is os x was installed with a borrowed disk, which i don't have anymore. i had to try those fixes with the 9.1 installer that came with the computer.

i can ask for the os x disk back, so will the things i tried in os 9.1 work when i boot from os x?

any suggestions are great

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you have the OS X install media. Try botting from it and under one of the drop down menus. Coose the disk utility application. Check and see if your system disk is in the list beside the install CDROM. If it is not there, then changes are you need a new system disk.

OP
P
Reaction score
never mind, i have it working again. i just booted from the 9.1 install disk and pulled up the startup disk, then selected os x from the list of things to start up from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.