Parallels not showing up external hdds

Reaction score
I have two external hdds both western digital and in parallels I'm running windows xp, but neither of them are showing up in my computer.

If it's a problem that they are like now stuck to mac and i need to reformat one of them I wouldnt mind doing so for one of them.

Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
I think what you need to do is eject the discs from the mac, leaving them plugged in. Then you need to go to the parallels menu>devices>HDD. I think they must also be USB.

OP
L
Reaction score
I think what you need to do is eject the discs from the mac, leaving them plugged in. Then you need to go to the parallels menu>devices>HDD. I think they must also be USB.

USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually.

this is the error message I'm getting. but it's definatly not in use by my mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Are the HDDs connected directly to the Mac or using a hub?

OP
L
Reaction score
Are the HDDs connected directly to the Mac or using a hub?

aha, problem sorted. I just upgraded to the latest version of parallels which
i must say is amazing. And they also fixed the bug which was causing me problems before. Turns out it wasnt my fault. Aparalently it was a widespread problem which people had complained about for a while now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.