iMac G5 memory upgrade,please need advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5,2Ghz,200GB.Mac Book Pro,1.83 Ghz,80GB,512MB.30GB video iPod
Hi there,
I decided to upgrade my iMac G5 memory. Currently have 512 MB,I have been under the impression that these machines have only one slot,but found out that there are two slots,in hardware profile,under Memory section I have DIMM0/BUILT-IN and DIMM1/J6700,so does this mean that the machine has two memory slots?
Could anybody confirm this?This is a 2.1 Ghz PowerPC G5.
Also,could someone tell me exactly what kind of ram stick will work for this machine,I don't want to buy and end up not using the sticks.I have found couple of them,but I am not sure if they will work.
thanks in advance.

M

MacHeadCase

You seem to have the same iMac I do. There is only one slot that can be user upgradable. The other one, which has factory installed RAM (the 512MB module you see) is soldered to the motherboard.

I got my iMac's RAM up to 2.5 GB and I bought my RAM at OWC. I have bought from them in the past, recommended them to friends very recently and bought from them again. Very efficient, friendly if you need to ask them questions. Their RAM has a lifetime warranty. Prices are good as well.

OP
forex@mac.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You seem to have the same iMac I do. There is only one slot that can be user upgradable. The other one, which has factory installed RAM (the 512MB module you see) is soldered to the motherboard.

I got my iMac's RAM up to 2.5 GB and I bought my RAM at OWC. I have bought from them in the past, recommended them to friends very recently and bought from them again. Very efficient, friendly if you need to ask them questions. Their RAM has a lifetime warranty. Prices are good as well.

Yes,I was looking at OWC as well,found some memory sticks.Did you buy 2 1Gb sticks?What brand did you buy?Did the performance change after you upgraded the machine?Mine seems kind of sluggish,it wasn't like this when I first bought it,now it's very very slow,I don't know what happened,I had wanted to upgrade the memory anyways,I guess it's about time.
here is the list: http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?model=219&type=Memory&TI=5828&shoupgrds=Show+Upgrades

which one did you get?

M

MacHeadCase

No I did not. Like I said, you can only mess with one of the memory slots, the other factory-installed module is soldered to the motherboard so you cannot pull it out. I bought the 2GB module PC4200 DDR2 533MHz 240 Pin DIMM Module.

You didn't select the right list (on your list you linked me to, I get choices for Power Mac G5s in the list). Make sure you select the iMac 2.1GHz (on the right) as a choice for the right RAM modules selection.

OP
forex@mac.com
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.