Is The MacBook Screen HDCP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Hi

Is the MacBook screen HDCP so i can play HD Videos(Not the quicktime HD videos) Like Blu-Ray Disc when the compatibility comes (until then under windows vista ultimate)

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
Doubt it since it does not have a HD drive however i expect that a big announcement for macworld since they are going to support blu-ray. Probably will be only for the pro series would be my guess.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh ok it just that the screen max res is 1280x800(720p) so i thought that it might be

Reaction score
It might be compatible with hdcp but just not compliant. What this means that a 1080p signal will be downgraded to standard definition 480p. So everything has to be hdcp compliant, computer + hdmi or dvi cables + monitor if going to an external source.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the chipset is HDCP compliant (It supports HDMI and output of 1080p) All i need really is a HDCP compliant screen then isn't it?? If thats all i need i'll upgrade after MacWorld

Reaction score
Well the chipset might be compliant but you still don't have the blu-ray drive, not sure if apple will offer an external drive like the xbox. I'd wait till after macworld before buying a monitor unless its absolutely necessary. If you do make sure its HDCP compliant or do like me and use a 52" sharp for your monitor :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
Probably will be only for the pro series would be my guess.

What would be the point? BluRay adoption depends upon the consumer end, so I would think they would make it an option if they decide to go that way. There are already third-party production options for the pro end.

BTW, the X3100 integrated graphics (on the Santa Rosa MacBook) is HDCP compliant. As for its connection to the outside world, who knows? But the capability is now there in both the iMac and the MacBook.

--Chris

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought so i'll try it when my Blu-Ray drive arrives tomorrow. If it doesn't work i'll have the screen upgraded in feb.

Reaction score
So you got a bluray player on the way or just a drive? Does apple support it?
Hempcamp- I was saying if apple includes these drives as internals for there macbook series and not as an external, makes the consumer go up to the pro series if they want blu-ray. It still has to be supported by mac (drivers).

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got an external Drive on the way. It's nice and black

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
i don't think Apple would replace your old macbook LCD with a new HDCP compliant one because it may simply not be compatible to just plug in with it, you would likely need to buy a new macbook.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No my uncle had a new HDCP screen(according to apple it was HDCP) so i think it is possible but if not i'm getting the new Mac Pro in two months

Reaction score
Northy124,
Were you able to get your Blu-ray drive working with the MacBook? I assume you are using bootcamp\vista? I have a couple of questions:

1. Can you watch Blu-ray movies on the MacBook LCD (is the display HDCP compliant)?
2. Can you watch Blu-ray movies on an external HDTV connected via the dvi port (is the dvi port HDCP compliant)?

I'm about to buy my first Mac, and one of my requirement is an HDCP complaint dvi port. I'm debating between picking up a MacBook or an iMac. I'm pretty sure the iMac is completely HDCP compliant.

I'm planning to run FrontRow on my projector. I know Blu-ray isn't natively supported by Leopard right now, but I'm hoping that I'll be able to add a Blu-ray drive in the near future.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
As far as I (and apparently the rest of the internet knows), none of Apple's products are currently HDCP compliant.

http://support.apple.com/specs/imac/iMac_Mid_2007.html
At least they don't mention it anywhere on their specs page - which you would think they would do if they were.

Of course they could secretly be HDCP compliant, but I wouldn't count on it.
My guess is that Apple isn't really bothered about Blu-Ray or HD-DVD and will push HD movie downloads instead.

Reaction score
As far as I (and apparently the rest of the internet knows), none of Apple's products are currently HDCP compliant.

http://support.apple.com/specs/imac/iMac_Mid_2007.html
At least they don't mention it anywhere on their specs page - which you would think they would do if they were.

According to ATI, the ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT and ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro are DHCP compliant. That means that the GPU technically supports it. A blurb at the buttom of the one of the ATI product pages says the following:

"ATI Radeon™ HD graphics chips have numerous features integrated into the processor itself (e.g., HDCP, HDMI, etc.). Third parties manufacturing products based on, or incorporating ATI Radeon HD graphics chips, may choose to enable some or all of these features. If a particular feature is important to you, please inquire of the manufacturer if a particular product supports this feature. In addition, some features or technologies may require you to purchase additional components in order to make full use of them (e.g. a Blu-Ray or HD-DVD drive, HDCP-ready monitor, etc.)."

It mentions that 3rd party manufactures may choose to enable/disable HDCP. I guess it's possible that apple has chosen to disable it. That would blow.

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonhd2600/radeonhd2600pro/index.html

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It worked through Vista its a MacBook BTW so no ATi cards just GMA x3100 which is HDCP. Haven't tried on HDTV yet as i only used twice whilst traveling(Set up a Media Centre in Car)

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I was referring to the new iMacs in my last post with the ATI processors.

That's good news. Now if Apple would update Leopard we would all be set. I have no intention of running vista on a Mac, so I guess I'll be waiting for Blu-ray until Apple decides HDCP support is important. I doubt that will happen until they figure out a way to make money off of it.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only good uses of Vista is Blu-Ray/HD DVD and some nice games (My fav COD4 which is on mac in march/may). But i agree i would never have installed on my Mac if i didn't want the games and this drive to work (Apple step up and give us what we want.:))

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.