thinking of getting a mac

Reaction score
hello this is my first post on these forums.

my mams pc has just died windows wont even install anymore, it doesn't even let you run/install linux on it.

So i am going to buy her a new pc and i was thinking of a mac, because they are meant to be easy to use, virus free and reliable.

All she uses the pc for is emails, chat (messenger), and surfing.

i just have a few guestions on owning a mac.

1. are they easy to use, since it is for my mum which doesn't know anything about computers.
2. do you need AV software.
3. can you use office files (.doc, .xls, .pps) or do you have to buy more software.
4. how reliable are they, as in needing tech support/hardware failures.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
Hi Terry

I might not be able to answer all your questions as I'm a recent convert as well, but Ill try:)

1) Yes, Macs are easy and very intuitive to use. My wife was never a user of our old PC as she found it unfriendly, too many crashes, re-booting, etc. She loves the iMac, I can hardly get her off it! It's the old cliche, but things just do 'work' with the Mac and the Mac OS...just how all computers ought to.

2) What AV software do you need??

3) It is possible to install a Mac version of MS Office if you want true, 100% compatibility with .doc, .xls etc. You can also buy the Mac package - iWork, which is Mac's version of Office, I suppose. Contains a good word processor, sreadsheet and a very good alternative to PowerPoint.

4) If all your Mac is being used for is simple web surfing, emails etc, I think yo will have a great experience - can't see you making too many demands on the Mac and it should be relatively trouble free. Had my Mac for 2 months now - no issues at all!

A suggestion, why not call in at one of the Apple stores if there's one nearby? I did and found it really useful. I pre-booked a 1hr session with one of their advisors, who let me play with an iMac and fire questions to him....very useful!

Good luck - I'm sure more experienced Mac users will be along with more advice shortly:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
by av software i mean anti virus software is it needed
Ah, again more qualified persons will respond but the general consensus on this forum is no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB Ram, MacBook White
Personaly i don't think Anti-Virus software is worth it on a mac as there is a very slim chance of getting one at the moment. It's up to you if you want to buy a it as it is redundant basically

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, core 2 duo 2.0 GHZ,1GB RAM,80 GB HDD
I would recommend calmXav for a anti virus and if your concerned with spyware and tracking cookies you can get macscan

Reaction score
You don't need antivirus for a mac really, it'll stop you passing anything on to a windows machine and thats about it.
If you've got a decent router i definitely wouldnt bother.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Yes please buy a Mac..!!

No need for any programs to detect antivirus/spyware/malware......etc.

Try NeoOffice it is a FREE Office-suite that is based on OpenOffice but is more Mac like.

Or just buy iWork...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.