LED VS LCD Screens

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6 C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
Hi,

I'm going to be buying a Macbook Pro after Macworld and I was wondering what are the differences between a LED and LCD screen? I am not sure if I want to get the 15" and take it with me, or get the 17" and use it as a desktop. I currently have a 13" Macbook, so I could use that while I'm in school.

I just want something that will allow me to play some games and will last me longer. I get my last fellowship payment this month and want to buy a new computer. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought both were LCD screens just one is backlit by LEDs.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.6 C2D, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD
Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought both were LCD screens just one is backlit by LEDs.

ok. what difference does that make?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
you are correct

Uliari - both screens are lcd (that is the type of screen) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lcd
The difference is that the new macbooks and macbook pros screens are now backlight by led's instead of some fluorescent tube thing. (someone please expand)
The backlight is what lights the screen up, and the screen is what displays the images.

Led's produce little to no heat, don't wear down over time, are more efficient, extend battery life, etc... http://www.macrumors.com/2007/06/05/macbook-pro-led-details/

Reaction score
The fluorescent tube thing is whats used in crt monitors (cathode ray tube), the big boxy ones.
LCD, liquid crystal diode so yes what are essentially leds backlight it.

Reaction score
Most LCD displays are backlit by what's called a CCFL (Cold Cathode Flourescent Lamp). Technology has improved to the point where LCD panels can now be backlit with LED. More and more laptops, desktop monitors and LCD TVs are now using LED technology. It's the wave of the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.