External Sound does not work

Reaction score
I've had my iMac for about a week now and just the other day my external speakers and headphone won't read when i plug it in. It just uses the iMac internal speakers as if nothing was plugged in.

Has anyone had this problem or know what is going on?

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, neyugnnerrad.

Sorry to hear about your sound problem on your shiny new iMac.

I am still running OS X Tiger 10.4.11 so this is getting a bit awkward trying to help Leopard users but, assuming Leopard has the same System Preferences panes as Tiger does, what does your Sound pref pane say? It should be in the Hardware section.

The only thing that comes to mind is if the jack isn't the right size.

BTW which brand and model of speakers are you trying to use on your iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are using Leopard go to Sytem Preferences > Sound > Output and see what is recorded there.

OP
N
Reaction score
I've been using some old yamaha speakers, it was working fine i also used my iPod headphones.

When i go to System Preferences > Sound > Output and plug in the headphone it say Internal Speakers/Built in Output

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would seem your external speakers are not being recognised. Have you tried your iPod headphones again? If nothing else works try running repair permissions from Utilities.

OP
N
Reaction score
yeah i tried the headphones. i'm sorry, i very new to Mac where can i find repair permissions.

M

MacHeadCase

Launch Disk Utility which you will find here: Macintosh HD -> Applications -> Utilites.

Select your hard drive icon in the left sidebar and click on Repair Disk Permissions.

There was another trick to get your sound back but this was for Tiger. You could try it anyway just in case it would still be of use.

Launch GarageBand, play a few notes in the Grand Piano window that appears. Do not save, just quit GarageBand. See if the sound is back. Sounds kinda a stoopid, I know, but this did solve quite a few external sound problems. LOL

OP
N
Reaction score
hey the repair disk permissions worked out great. i don't really know whats going on but, it worked thanks a bunch you guys.

M

MacHeadCase

Well like I've posted this a few times here and there: it's a real bummer that 10.4.x Tiger had basically stopped all the Disk Permissions problems 10.3.x Panther had but that 10.5.x Leopard reintroduced the Disk Permissions problems all over again.

I do hope Apple rectifies this situation with an upcoming update. Messed disk permissions can really create weird behaviour on a Mac as I saw in Panther.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out, neyugnnerrad. And remember to Repair Disks Permissions once in a while to prevent other weird behaviour from happening again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AS MHC said Repair Permissions from time to time.

It seems that Repair Permissions under Leopard is a completely different tool to earlier versions and does a much deeper find and repair. Maybe that is why it takes s-o-o-o-o long?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Wow, that something in my old windows thinking would be a hardware, driver, or application issue would be corrected by running Repair Permissions..blows me away. After a year here, that still would not be a part of my thought process.

Reaction score
Any other ideas

I am having the same problem with my iMac. I cannot get the external sound to work. Even with the cable plugged in the internal speakers are putting out the sound. I upgraded to Leopard and have the 10.5.1 update. I use a pair of Altec Lansing speakers, have tried various headphones, including the iPod variety, and the repairing permissions and garage band tricks did not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you do the Repair Permissions from the install DVD? Boot, go to utilities, run Verify Disk and then Repair Permissions from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro
External speaker problem

I am having the not quite the same problem. New Mac Pro with Leopard OS X 10.5.2.

This may be a speaker power problem. I have a pair of Harmon-Kardon speakers left over from a PC. At first I thought the external speakers weren't responding at all. Then I discovered that they play very faintly - I can hear the output if I hold a speaker up to my ear. All volume controls (speaker and Mac) are maximum.

Is there a fix or do I just need to buy new speakers?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.