Blue and White 450G3 freezing

J

JeremyM

Hi, I have a B&W 450G3. I'm using a 18GB SCSI Hard drive, and it's amazing that it even started, because it just freezes for no reason at all. It's been starting fine today, but then when I go to open mail or something, it just freezes...no, it's not just today, it's happened ever sense I got it (last year). I tried an ULTRA ATA HD with it, that wont even boot, it gets to the setup mac os x thing, and just freezes. It's almost like when something processor intensive is running, it freezes. Any thoughts?

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

It sounds like you have a problem with a bad HD, but yo can't just put an ATA in there, it isnt compatible. Where did you get it? What is the HD brand? Do you have another SCSI HD to try?

OP
J

JeremyM

Hm, I said, it wasn't a hard drive problem. Why would you continue to ask me if it is? I'm no idiot, I know which interfaces are what. SCSI sucks too. Also, there's no way that three hard drives that worked 10 minutes before I tried them in the machine busted. Trust me, I am no idiot.

EDIT: Sorry, I obviously left things out in my 1st post. On the motherboard, there is an IDE channel, an ULTRA ATA channel, and I had an Ultra SCSI PCI card with an internal port and an external port. I was using that as the SCSI port, there is no SCSI port on the motherboard. It's also a mute point right now anyways, because, well...read on.

On a lighter note, I converted it to a PC with not much effort/money. Had to buy a cutting wheel kit for the dremel, and a fan that was 10 bucks at staples (it glows blue, oooo). Anyone would like pictures, let me know. I just need to find a shorter CD-R/RW drive because the mobo's power hits the CD-R/RW drive. Currently, I have no optical drives in, but I'll find one somewhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
JeremyM said:
Hm, I said, it wasn't a hard drive problem. Why would you continue to ask me if it is? I'm no idiot, I know which interfaces are what. SCSI sucks too. Also, there's no way that three hard drives that worked 10 minutes before I tried them in the machine busted. Trust me, I am no idiot.

So, according to this you think people who don't know the difference between ATA and SCSi are idiots?!? This is a personal attack to all those millions of computer users that just simply use their computer, without knowing how the insides work.
If you think SCSI sucks, than you don't know what you're talking about...SCSI is a whole lot faster than UltraATA, and BTW, they are the only HDs turning at 10000rpm (ATA: 7200).
And, as you are "no idiot" as you claim, if you try 3 HDs on the same PCI SCSI adaptor, and none works, don't you think that it might be the PCI card?? So much about your technical skills...

And no, I'm pretty sure that not much people of the Mac community are interested in seeing a B&W G3 transformed into a PC...
BTW, it's just a big tower case, so what's the deal? There's nothing challenging about that.

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

Avalon said:
So, according to this you think people who don't know the difference between ATA and SCSi are idiots?!? This is a personal attack to all those millions of computer users that just simply use their computer, without knowing how the insides work.
If you think SCSI sucks, than you don't know what you're talking about...SCSI is a whole lot faster than UltraATA, and BTW, they are the only HDs turning at 10000rpm (ATA: 7200).
And, as you are "no idiot" as you claim, if you try 3 HDs on the same PCI SCSI adaptor, and none works, don't you think that it might be the PCI card?? So much about your technical skills...

And no, I'm pretty sure that not much people of the Mac community are interested in seeing a B&W G3 transformed into a PC...
BTW, it's just a big tower case, so what's the deal? There's nothing challenging about that.

:confused: I am to dumb for todays tech world ;).... No seriously i know what i am talking about, I just wasn't sure if JeremyM did, he was very repetitive and not clear about his question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
PinkPhishDoors said:
:confused: I am to dumb for todays tech world ;).... No seriously i know what i am talking about, I just wasn't sure if JeremyM did, he was very repetitive and not clear about his question.

I was referring on JeremyM's post, not your's... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.