• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What hand do you write with?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I'm a righty, but I've always wanted to use my left. I've practiced writing lefty, but have only succeeded in getting more comfortable with it, not a lot more legible!

Reaction score
I have no arms so I have to stick a pencil up my nose and write that way. Typing gives me a headache. :D

Just kiddin' - I'm right-handed :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook: 2.2 Core2Duo, 120GB HDD, 1GB Ram, Superdrive.
Left when writing on paper
Right when writing on a blackboard
Whatever for everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
I don't mean to be rude, but it looks really really weird when a lefty writes on paper. Just looks weird. I have no 'real problem' with lefties though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
Although I write with my left hand. I tend to do everything else with either hand. From what I am told by my parents, I used to be completely ambidextrous but my pre-k teacher didn't think that was a good thing so she made me pick one (apparently I chose left) and made me stick with that. Now, when I try something new I'm always interested to see with which hand I'll feel most comfortable doing it. So far it's quite varied:

Left: writing, eating, shooting pool, shooting a gun, skateboarding
Right: golf, football, baseball, basketball, mouse usage

just to name a few

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm severely left-handed. I even have slightly better vision in my left eye! But I wear my watch on my left hand and use a mouse with my right hand, probably from watching right handed people and because in school the mouse could not be moved to the left side of the keyboard.

I don't remember which word it is, but there is a word meaning evil that originates from another language which literally meant left-handed.

I lived in China for 6 months where everyone was astounded my me using my left hand, because in China everyone is right-handed. Well, not really, but they're forced to be. Many Chinese people would come to be and say they are right handed, but use their left arm/foot in sports. I told them they are really left-handed like me.

"If each side of the brain controls the opposing side of one's body, then all left-handed people are in their right mind." - unknown

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo, 2 GB RAM + 20" ACD
Right handed are still in majority? :eek:

My sixth grade math teacher all those years ago was talking about probability and when she said "True or false: there is a 50% chance you will be born left handed and a 50% chance you will be born right handed" most people said true.

But it's false. There's a far greater amount of people that are dominantly right-handed. (Math teacher above demonstrated this by asking right-handed people to stand up. Only she and one student didn't stand up).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I'm right handed. However I used to be left-handed. I went to a school where they told me I had to write with my right hand instead of my left hand. I am trying to re-train my left hand but it's proving difficult.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz CD 2GB RAM; iPhone
I don't remember which word it is, but there is a word meaning evil that originates from another language which literally meant left-handed.

You're thinking of sinister, which comes from the latin sinistra meaning left, left-side, or left-handed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
^^ awesome (for telling me, not the meaning). Thanks!

Reaction score
I write with my right hand, but can do it legibly with my left, but right is what I use. For sports, throw a ball/kick with my right leg. Can bat both ways in baseball. Shoot lefty in basketball, but if I had to chuck the ball would use my right hand. Hockey, the sport I play religiously, I shoot left handed. That means left hand on the bottom of the stick and right hand on top. I read somewhere that you can shoot either way being right/left handed, but if you are a righty shooting lefty you will have better stick handling because your right hand is on top, and a righty shooting right will have better power because your dominate hand is on the bottom. My shot is still powerful though! For golf I am a righty. I heard that people who wanted to be able to write with there other hand practiced a whole bunch by doing normal things with the other hand. Like opening doors brushing your teeth, so on. Has anyone done anything like this?

Reaction score
Righty here, although I'm trying to learn to use my left hand more, so when my right hand cramps up in tests, I have a backup! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
I do everything with my right hand, but I surf/skate/snowboard goofy (left foot back).

Same here. I can write with my left hand but it gives me a headache to try and read it. I do sometimes eat with my left hand though. Oh, and I can shoot equally well with either hand.

Reaction score
Lefty through and through! My right hand is pretty much useless except for using a computer mouse. On a trackpad, I use my left hand.

I once heard the majority of people are right handed because back in the day when warriors would use swords and shields, they held the shield with their left hand to keep it closer to the heart, thus forcing them to use their right hand for the actually fighting and sword handling. Makes sense, I think.

And also, I HATE when people ask me "How do you write with your left hand?". All I have to say is "How do you write with your left hand?". They say "Well, it's easy!"... like it's any harder for me to write with my left?

Reaction score
Both. I am able to successfully hold a pen, fork and scalpel with both hands. About the only thing I cannot do left handed would be swing a golf club or baseball bat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
I'm right handed. However I used to be left-handed. I went to a school where they told me I had to write with my right hand instead of my left hand. I am trying to re-train my left hand but it's proving difficult.
I've wondered how many children are *made* into righties because parents or teachers insist on continuity!?! The time I've spent trying to do things with my left makes me believe I might've been ambidextrous had I been at liberty to use whichever hand I felt like at the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.