Might get satellite internet through dish network-can someone help me?

Reaction score
Hello,

So, we (MAY) be upgrading out of the dial up doldrums by getting satellite.
We will probably get it through dish network as its the cheapest monthly at $49.99 a month.

But we are sacrificing to get this-its expensive.
We may be ditching the dish network TV, and merging the business and personal aol accounts (if i had my way i would be ditching AOL all together as $50 a month includes email addresses).

Anyway,

Is there any cheaper than $50 a month?

Does anyone else have dish network internet?
Whats with the equipment lease fee?
We had DSL before we moved a while ago, could we still use the same modem?

How much does it cost to get started up?

Its gonna be MAD expensive to get all our computers into the network!
WOW.
Unless anyone knows where i can get a CHEAP router/wirelsss adapters?
We had DSL before and I had a Belkin Wireless G router which i loved (although it was the only router ive owned so what do i have to compare it to?), but i recently gave it to my aunt :(. I had a belkin usb adapter too and the router was 20 feet away from the adapter and i STILL had LOTS of troubles connecting-i returned it. My dad has the same one for his laptop and it works great though. So i have a belkin bias (the linksys are a tad ugly IMO, but ill still buy one)
We have 5 computers to hook up to the router(I need a REALLY good adapter as i am in the basement far away),

Im gonna do some math (EVERYONE RUN) to determine how much it would cost (besides payments)

Equipment fee--$199 last i checked. I think that just gives me a modem (ripofffffffffff)
Router-$34.99 off amazon.
Adapters-$75 (for 3 belkin usb ones)
Adapter for myself (im on another story, i need a good one! So ill pick out a better one for myself ;D )
Belkin PCI adapter-$34.95

So about more than $350!

Wow. Still, i may be able to get better deals.

So, anything to say about satellite?
dish network?
routers?
adapters?

Thanks,
Tanner.

Reaction score
if the 3 other computers are on the same floor why dont you just wire them to the router? (unless they are laptops)

can you give us a little more info about the set up of the computers?

OP
Tanner31593
Reaction score
Well, i was thinking about that.

The main reason is wires. We can't drill holes into our walls and feed the cord through the walls because our house isnt like that at all,
i know 2 for sure will be able to be wired,
i'll just have to not trip over the cord! lol.
But the 2 that can be wired are bedrooms on opposite sides of the hall.
Those can be wired ill just need some cords (about 20 feet? or 25, not sure)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
many service providers now have modems with built in wireless.

AOL is now FREE if you aren't using them to provide you internet service. You can pay, what I pay, $10 a month to include some dial up for emergencies and for all their virus and spyware stuff.

If you go satellite you have to consider the fact that you a clear sky. Which you probably know about since you have TV service. I have Dish Network and when it is raining so hard you can't watch TV it's nice to have internet. Though that doesn't happen much since I prerecord everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.