how to remove duplicate music files

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Recently I tried to combine several folders of music. I has assumed that like photos, the computer would tell me when a duplicate appeared and I just wouldn't transfer it. Instead I now have around 11,000 music files instead of around 6000. I know I can go into duplicates and find the duplicates through Itunes. But does deleting duplicates in Itunes also delete the files in the music folder. Also noticed that in several cases I now have a song and then the same song but with a 01 in front of the song (hence the computer did not recognize the song as a duplicate). So any small programs or quick ways to get rid of the duplicates

Any help would be appreciated
Cheers
Al

Reaction score
You can use itunes to get the job done, and if you allow it too, it will also delete the song from your music folder. If the dupes all have 01 in front of them then sort the folder by name and delete everything at the top with 01 in front of the name.

Jason

OP
A
Reaction score
thanks for the input Jason. Will give it a try. Also want to try Dupin as it seems like a good little program for the job

Cheers

Al

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: Mac mini Model Identifier: Macmini3,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
How do I remove duplicate songs if I do not use itunes sync

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.