A program to move files back out of trash?

Reaction score
I have three files in my trash that wont delete. Two are locked folders and that seems to be causing a problem and one asks for a password then still dosent delete it.

I want to move these files out of the trash, but i cant do that by dragging or copying. It wont let me cut either. So really I'm after a way to resolve this or get a program to move the files out of the the trash.

Reaction score
Try right-clicking on the locked files and "get info".. uncheck the locked checkbox.. then try and delete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
I had this problem as well once. I ended up using the terminal technique but option might work as well so try that first. These will erase everything in the trash

Force the Trash to empty using the Option key

This technique uses a hidden feature of Mac OS X to force the Trash to empty. Perform the following steps in the order specified:

Press and hold the mouse button on the Trash icon in the Dock. The context menu for Trash will display.
Press and hold the Option key.
Select Empty Trash from the context menu for Trash.
Release the Option key.
Force the Trash to empty using Terminal

This technique uses a Terminal command to force the Trash to empty. Perform the following steps in the order specified:

1. Launch Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
2. At the Terminal prompt, type the following command exactly as written:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
Note that:

There is a single space after each of the terms sudo, rm, and -rf in the command.

Assure you have typed the command exactly as written before proceeding: typographical errors in this command can have dire consequences, including erasing your hard drive!
3. Press Return.
4. Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return. The files in the Trash are now deleted.

OP
L
Reaction score
I had this problem as well once. I ended up using the terminal technique but option might work as well so try that first. These will erase everything in the trash

Force the Trash to empty using the Option key

This technique uses a hidden feature of Mac OS X to force the Trash to empty. Perform the following steps in the order specified:

Press and hold the mouse button on the Trash icon in the Dock. The context menu for Trash will display.
Press and hold the Option key.
Select Empty Trash from the context menu for Trash.
Release the Option key.
Force the Trash to empty using Terminal

This technique uses a Terminal command to force the Trash to empty. Perform the following steps in the order specified:

1. Launch Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.
2. At the Terminal prompt, type the following command exactly as written:

sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
Note that:

There is a single space after each of the terms sudo, rm, and -rf in the command.

Assure you have typed the command exactly as written before proceeding: typographical errors in this command can have dire consequences, including erasing your hard drive!
3. Press Return.
4. Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return. The files in the Trash are now deleted.

Argh, first method didnt work. And the second one worked up to the password bit but it wouldnt let me type my password it just didnt do anything when i typed. And now, whenever i put the command in it does nothing, just goes to another command line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Argh, first method didnt work. And the second one worked up to the password bit but it wouldnt let me type my password it just didnt do anything when i typed. And now, whenever i put the command in it does nothing, just goes to another command line.

Restart your computer and try again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Use MainMenu to run the full gamut of maintenance scripts and cache cleaners.

If you still can't empty the trash, then log into a different user with administrative privileges, use MainMenu to enable Finder to show invisible files, then navigate to your "troubled" user's home folder and delete the entire .trashes folder from there. Don't worry... it will get recreated when you log back in. Don't forget to empty the trash in that 2nd user before logging out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
You may have to enable super user. applications>utilities>net-info manager. click on security enable root user and enter a password

OP
L
Reaction score
Ah, I found the soruce of the problem, the files are on my HDD and when i take it out they dissapear from the thash but come straight back when i put in back in. I'll try and delete them on a PC.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.