• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Torn between 3 camcorders

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
Ok, first off thanks for reading this and providing any feedback.

I am looking to get a new camcorder, a "prosumer model". I am currently torn between 3 models. They are all mini dv, but 2 of them are standard defenition, while the third is high def.

Canon GL2

Sony DCR-VX2100

Sony FX7

Here is where my issue arises. I can edit hd content, but cannot write it to dvd to watch, so the hd cam is kind of pointless right? But part of me thinks that the hd cam is only 500 bucks more and hopefully in a year we will have an affordable way of writing hd content to blu-ray.

I guess my question to everyone is, which of the 3 would you choose, and why.

Again thank you for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I've said this before; "With DVD Studio Pro, you can create hi-def HD-DVD content to a regular DVD. I've gotten that far, it plays via DVD Player, but I haven't got a player to test it in." The problem is DVD Studio Pro only comes packaged with the Final Cut Studio Suite at well over a grand.

I only mention this, because soon I think that will be a option. I wonder if it will come in iDVD in the future though because Steve Jobs current attitude seems to be that online distribution is the future. It may take a third party to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.