• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple to choose blu-ray over hddvd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook | iPod
I stumbled across this article this morning and I was wondering if any of you think there might be any truth to this?

http://www.thestreet.com/s/analyst-..._googlen?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

I've heard rumors about blu-ray being the choice for Apple over hddvd in the past but as we're approaching the next Macworld expo this piqued my interest.

Apple (AAPL - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) is taking sides in the hotly contested high-definition video format war by snubbing HD-DVD in favor of Sony's (SNE - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) Blu-ray, according to one analyst.

"Our sources indicate that Apple will outline its high-definition video strategy with the support of Blu-ray as opposed to HD-DVD," American Technology Research analyst Shaw Wu wrote in a preview of the upcoming MacWorld conference Jan. 15.

Wu calls the move a big win for Sony's video business and notes that Disney (DIS - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) supports Blu-ray, while Microsoft (MSFT - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) is firmly camped in Toshiba's competing HD-DVD format.

The article does suggest that Apple will choose to go with a blu ray/hddvd combo drive.

But it's likely that Apple will want to avoid the format battle and at some point use a combination Blu-ray/HD-DVD drive in future computers, wrote Wu.

By the way, I searched to see if this had been posted already this morning but didn't find anything. If it has please feel free to remove it with my apologies.

eugy

Reaction score
I hope Apple eventually favor Blu-ray, as more large companies start choosing Blu-ray there will be more advancements made that PS3 users and the like will benefit from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
I have used both and truley favor blu-ray. I gave my hd dvd player and my hd dvds away after i used blu-ray. Now I just hope blu-ray burners become more widely avaible and the p[rice drops on them. Sony sells one that is 500 bucks and only works on windows. O well

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I thought this was old news. Since Apple is on the Blu-Ray board.

Hopefully someone with a litte more knowledge on this subject, will come along and clear it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
HD DVD is heavily sponsored by M$. I didn't think Apple would want to touch it after that.

But this happened last summer/fall after everyone said that the HD format war was practically over. Plus HD DVD players are getting cheaper than BR, I believe. If this happens, it'll help in HD DVD's favor a little bit as the studios want to be where the sales are. I just think it's bad for the customers as either way you go, you're missing out on one or the other.

And everyone expecting the PS3 to be an HD DVD killer was sorely dissapointed when PS3 sales ended up being so slow and not really doing anything in BR's favor.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/08/20/paramount-and-dreamworks-leave-blu-ray-behind/

Reaction score
Hate to burst you BR fans but both formats are pretty much identical as far as picture quality, price wise for stand alones its not even funny; 500 dollar BR player or 399 PS3 vs 200 dollar toshiba hd-dvd player(was 100 dollar at one point back in november). Which one do you think the average consumer is going to buy? The studios are looking at these numbers, warner brothers is suppost to choose a side this year and stated they are looking at stand alone player sales. I really do believe that BR is going to die off in another year or two just like beta max did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
I dont know...I think blu-ray may win, with disney, apple, and of sony pictures strong supporters. I do agree, that blu-ray players are much more expensive, but top of the line hd dvd playera are at the same price. Then when you take the ps3 into consideration with the included blu-ray player at $400, and you look at the xbox 360 and the hd dvd player u hav eto purchase seperate 350.00+280.00 is $630. just my 2 cents

Reaction score
My point being until sony gets there head out of there you know what and finally releases a player priced like hd-dvd its going to lose ground. Also as far as PS3's being used as movie players i think i read some where on avsforum.com that only 5-10% have bought movies for there PS3. Oh well, HD downloads is where its at in the next ten years lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch
Hate to burst you BR fans but both formats are pretty much identical as far as picture quality, price wise for stand alones its not even funny; 500 dollar BR player or 399 PS3 vs 200 dollar toshiba hd-dvd player(was 100 dollar at one point back in november). Which one do you think the average consumer is going to buy? The studios are looking at these numbers, warner brothers is suppost to choose a side this year and stated they are looking at stand alone player sales. I really do believe that BR is going to die off in another year or two just like beta max did.

x2!! HD-DVD is where it's at......every point he made here is completely true...PS3 sales are also hideously low, lets not forget the millions who have a 360 that can get the HD-DVD attachment for $170 like I did....

But I also agree with the post above saying streaming video and download is the way of the future......physical media in games and movies and music will go extinct in the next 5 to 10 years

Reaction score
Of course they would pick blu-ray. It just sounds so much more cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Its going to be a battle for a couple more years. And yes you can get a cheaper hd-dvd player but those are 1080i only, the 1080p hd-dvd players are just as expensive as blu-ray players.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I dont know...I think blu-ray may win, with disney, apple, and of sony pictures strong supporters. I do agree, that blu-ray players are much more expensive, but top of the line hd dvd playera are at the same price. Then when you take the ps3 into consideration with the included blu-ray player at $400, and you look at the xbox 360 and the hd dvd player u hav eto purchase seperate 350.00+280.00 is $630. just my 2 cents

Not to mention Warner has just gone Blu-Ray exclusive http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/04/warner-goes-blu-ray-exclusive/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
At the moment, Blu-Ray still offers more capacity, which is what matters most on a computer. (HD-DVD has announced a "triple layer" format, but so far it's not being used.)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
At the moment, Blu-Ray still offers more capacity, which is what matters most on a computer. (HD-DVD has announced a "triple layer" format, but so far it's not being used.)
Does that mean we will more momentary pauses as the player reads the next layer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Does that mean we will more momentary pauses as the player reads the next layer.

No, but I think read speeds go down the more layers you use.

Reaction score
The 1080P vs 1080I from my understanding is more a marketing ploy and has to do with the FPS or something. I think 1080i is like 60 fps while 1080p is 24 fps so they even them selves out or something to the naked eye. Go visit avsforum.com please, lots of the myths about one brand being superior than the other are debunked there plus its kind of funny to watch the fan boys duke it out (got so bad in november that they had to close the forum for 2 weeks to let everyone cool down).

Reaction score
Just got done reading that article and all i can say is WOW. I wonder how much sony payed them off, toshiba is not innocent of paying off studios either. Looks like this might be the end of the trail for hd-dvd, don't expect bluray players to come down in price though till probably black friday this year if i had to guess. Come on HD downloads, i need to buy stock in what ever company that ends up being :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I think with Time Warner's announcement, that effectively puts the nail in HD-DVD's coffin. More studios support Blu-ray, more hardware vendors...

Hopefully this ridiculous format war is almost done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Apple is on the Blu-Ray Disc Association and has been there virtually from the start, and has a board member.

Additionally Walt Disney is also a board member... so that's a double trouble, and were a founder member of the Blu Ray membership along with 20th Century Fox, Panasonic and of course Sony.

Blu Ray Board members are

Apple Inc.
Dell
Hewlett Packard
Hitachi
LG Electronics
Mitsubishi Electric
Panasonic (Matsushita Electric)
Pioneer Corporation
Royal Philips Electronics
Samsung Electronics
Sharp Corporation
Sony Corporation
Sun Microsystems
TDK Corporation
Thomson
Twentieth Century Fox
Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group / Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Warner Home Video Inc.

Apple will ship with Blu-Ray, there will be no support for HD-DVD at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.