Can you set-up different monitor set-up for each user?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 core Mac Pro, 21.5" iMac, 13" Macbook Pro, iPhone 4
I'm looking at swithing from PC to a Mac Pro and was just wondering if you can set-up different monitor arrangements per user?

For example: when I login for my professional work I need two monitors but when I login as a "fun" user for games email, internet etc I don't want to be waisting graphics card power on a double wide, double screen resolution.

Is this possible in Leopard?

Cheers

Steve

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
bump!
A few viewers but no answers. Have I explained the question clearly enough?

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Single or dual monitors for different users??

I'm looking at swithing from PC to a Mac Pro and was just wondering if you can set-up different monitor arrangements for each user account?

For example: when I login for my professional work I need two monitors (twice the resolution not cloned) but when I login as a "fun" user for games email, internet etc I don't want to be waisting graphics card power on a double wide, double screen resolution.

Is this possible in Leopard?

Cheers

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
spaces, totally different thing to what I need.
I'll check the other link out though, thanks

Regards

Steve

Actually you may use spaces do drag windows or different things between monitors so that may be much easier that what your looking at.

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually you may use spaces do drag windows or different things between monitors so that may be much easier that what your looking at.

No, I've not explained myself very well. I'm used to "spaces" as I come from a Linux background.

What I need is when I login to my "fun & games" user account I want one monitor to come on and the other to be disabled, but when I login to my "work" user account for both monitors to come on. It obviously put more pressure on a graphics card when two monitors at twice the horizontal resolution are used and don't need two when gaming.

Does that make any better sense? lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I have my HDTV always connected as a second monitor. Even when it's powered off my computer still recognizes it. I can drag windows over to it and such. I would suspect the only way to fix the problem would be disconnect it from the video card.
I have noticed zero slowdown though even with the 7300GT. I am able to watch videos on both screens mirrored and it still looks ok.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
stevetgn - please don't bump a thread two times in three hours ;)

and wouldn't you be able to just turn of one monitor when you don't want to use it...

OP
stevetgn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
stevetgn - please don't bump a thread two times in three hours ;)

and wouldn't you be able to just turn of one monitor when you don't want to use it...

I didn't, I posted in another forum because I wasn't getting any replies but it got moved here. Second, the graphics card is still using up its resources weather the monitor is on or not. That's my whole point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The only way to stop the VRAM sharing is to disconnect the second display.
Even with it connected (but powered off) the computer will continue to split the VRAM until you physically disconnect the second display.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.