I am so fed up with Apple and their lack of testing on Security Updates!!!!

Reaction score
I am so fed up with Apple, i have lost all hope in them whatsoever. Today i installed the Security Update 2007-009 1.1 and when prompted to restart did so, only to wait 5 minutes with my computer just idling and not restarting. So I then went to the apple menu to restart but still nothing happened. Pushed the Power button on my Mac and it brought up the dialog box for:
...Log off...Restart...Shutdown
But then it quickly logged-out giving me no time to even click on restart , so i logged back in , tried again, and of course it did the same thing again, so i logged back in and force shutdown holding down the power button for 5 seconds. Finally it shut down so i then Powered it back up, logged in with no problems.

Since the Security Update includes the update of Logic 8.0.1, I went straight to it in applications but found the Logic icon & Logic Node icon replaced by Blue folder icons. Upon clicking on Logic i was prompted with an error stating that it could not open because the file was corrupt, so i decided to delete Logic and along with Logic Node and empty the trash so that it would remove all its files. But now when i clicked on Trash, the window would not come up. I tried just empty trash from the dock but it would not empty the trash either. I can not open any finder window from my dock's Finder Icon.
I can open finder by clicking on Macintosh HD on my desktop but when i navigate through my folders all of my file icons have these weird sort of Distorted Scan lines through them.
So i decided i would open disk utility and try and repair whatever is going on. Pressed verify Disk and it tried to Verify the disk but came back a minute after idling, giving me this error:

Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
%)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume free block count
(It should be (It should be 4 instead of 6294237)
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Here is a screenshot of Disk Utility: http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g269/DjViral/Picture1.png

So obviously something is wrong because it reported failure on exit and Disk Utility will not even let me click on "Repair Disk", it is just faded out, un-click-able.
I would like to know what is wrong, and why Apple is releasing such junk as Security Updates. I mean isn't the whole point of a security update to make your computer more secure. Is this a joke or something?
I have lost all respect for you Apple. Not too mention this happened only 2 months ago with your last security update and i had to get my computer serviced which took 3 weeks. You better explain yourselves, apologize and start getting your sorry act together.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Sorry dude i feel your pain, but (to tempt fate) i have never once had any issues with Apple security updates!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Sorry dude i feel your pain, but (to tempt fate) i have never once had any issues with Apple security updates!

Same here.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No issues at all with security or point updates here on 6 different Macs. I always repair permissions first and make sure no applications are running before the update starts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 1.83GHz 120GB Leopard and XP
I am also very disappointed with this, I have a problem with Safari not loading and several other apps which open for about 2 seconds then crash (see another thread I started).

I also posted a message on the Apple discussions site and have realised that my problem seems to be happening with numerous people - but no one seems to be getting any help to resolve these issues.

One of the reasons I moved to Mac was stability - now when I get to the grey screen, I have my fingers crossed and hope it boots up!

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm afraid to restart my mac anymore because the last time i installed a security update and restarted i got a looping login screen , which apple couldn't even explain what was going on. as i said i've lost all faith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
I also have no problems with security updates...
did you try repairing disk permissions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, but I get the SUID+files which according to Apple are ok :(

When will the patch for this "issue" be released? According to another poster, this was an issue in 10.3, solved in 10.4 and now returns in Leopard. This is as bad as Windoze, not what I expected from Apple.

Reaction score
Vvery sad to say it the above is true. Apple seem to losing the way to me.

I actually prefer using my G4 Powerbook than the brand new MPC !, it is sooo much smoother, it doesn't continually drop letters whist typing, resumes immediate WiFi connection from waking to name but a few.

Apple gave me ( and probably million of others) the feeling of quality, get you hooked then when you purchase a new machine it doesn't perform anything like what an "apple" should.

I am generally a decent speller, but when using a MBP I am a terrible speller. Why ?, because my MBP cant detect when I press keys. Why can't it ? because either
a) its very poorly made, or
b) it's MY fault, however it can only be my fault when I am using the new machine.

Personally I think Leopard is pants !. Only trouble is (so I'm told) if I revert to Tiger, then it will only run at half the bit speed, which totally renders the whole idea of a high performance computer useless.
Apple really do need to address these problems. And address them today and not whenever they feel like it.

Could it be that Apple may not be able to cure all the problems and may be afraid they may need to replace all these machines ?. I hope not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^^ Well said - much more eloquent than me :)

I have installed XP (spit) via BootCamp and am no wondering if I wouldn't be better off using that instead of MacOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not all is gone for your HDD as is still reporting as SMART verified. The best disk tool for the job is DiskWarriior 4. In Leopard do not install on HDD, start up by booting, holding down 'C' and wait..wait..wait..takes about ten minutes to boot and then run the program.

Only safe way to download Software Updates I believe is to select 'Download Only', run Repair Permissions when finished, locate download from downloads folder, install, reboot and again do the Repair Permissions thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Since the last update my Quiktime has been very slow and jerky when rendering avi's and wmv's via flip4mac. Prior to that update it was fine. Finally had to switch to VLC to be able to watch them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I use VLC for everything - it is so much better, and handles just about anything thrown at it.
Since the last update my Quiktime has been very slow and jerky when rendering avi's and wmv's via flip4mac. Prior to that update it was fine. Finally had to switch to VLC to be able to watch them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
things werent perfected by 10.4.1 either, give it a few weeks.

it just goes with the territory. Not really much of an option for now but to just live with it.

it could be worse. You could be running vista, and install a patch, just to find it opened 100 other holes :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The OP is running Tiger. Check his screen shot. Blue Apple not black.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.