PowerMac vs. iMac

B

bennybenz10

Hey. I was planning on buying an apple computer for the uses of digital movie editing with probably Final Cut Express and maybe something else. I would also do some Photoshop probably. Would an iMac G5 do the job (I was considering 20'' maybe) or should I just go for the PowerMac G5?

Thanks a alot! :)

Ben

OP
C

cory

kinda on the same road you are.. i have a powerbook G4 and on saturday im either gonna buy the new 23 inch monitor a IMAC G5 or save for like a 2.5 powermac.. its a hard deceision haha Cuase i do the same thing video editing recording photoshop illistrator flashh all that stuff<3 anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Well, the PowerMac will easily beat the iMac, it's performance is much better, even if both use a G5.
Nevertheless the iMac is powerful enough to do video editing, so your choice should be based on two things:
1. Do you really need the best available performance?
2. How much money can you spend.

The PowerMac is by far more expensive (because you'll need an additional screen) but a better performer too...

That's why Apple has it's consumer hardware (i...) and professional hardware (Power...)

OP
M

Matt

I do really think that the iMac G5 is VERY good value, with very good perfromance as well. I would think it would be alot faster than a Powerbook.

OP
S

steviecam

Get the new Imac, it powerfull it looks cool and it's brand spanking new!!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.