Unauthorized Access - Help!

Reaction score
Is there any way that I can check an event log to see if my computer was illegally accessed? I tried to log into my iDisk tonight and it kept coming back with the 'incorrect username / password' error. I then went into my System Preferences -> .Mac to check this out and sure enough a different user name was in the box.

Is there any way of checking an event log to see if any unauthorized access took place - namely if any files on my local drive were copied to someone else's iDisk?

I know this seems a little weird, but this is kinda freaking me out!
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
As far as the Mac is concerned there wouldn't have been unauthorized access since it thinks you were logged in performing the requested tasks.

I'd suggest using Keychain Access to lock the screen while you are away.

In keychain access prefs select show in menu bar. Once in menu bar use drop down to select lock screen. Of course this only works if you have a password that no one knows.

More than likely someone did change it, but probably to retrieve something from their iDisk.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
As far as the Mac is concerned there wouldn't have been unauthorized access since it thinks you were logged in performing the requested tasks.

I'd suggest using Keychain Access to lock the screen while you are away.

In keychain access prefs select show in menu bar. Once in menu bar use drop down to select lock screen. Of course this only works if you have a password that no one knows.

More than likely someone did change it, but probably to retrieve something from their iDisk.
that is cool... is there anyway to do it other than using keychain access

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, WolfStatic.

What you could do if you continue to have problems is contact the .Mac support staff (there is a link on the .Mac home page) and they'll help you access your iDisk: they're friendly and quite helpful. If there was any wrongdoing, they can certainly tell you how to prevent it from happening again and give you tips on making your iDisk more secure.

It could also be some kind of corruption with your System Prefs, but MacsWork has great suggestions as well and more than likely there is the source of your problem.

And make sure you change the password to access your iDisk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.