ibook g4 1.2 ghz and wd passport 250 gig mini review.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
Hey guys,

After much deliberation on whether or not I should upgrade my internal 60 gb or buy an external drive......I bought the western digital 250 gb from costco for $140 plus taxes! (awesome deal)

I initially wanted to get the internal upgraded to a 160 gig drive but I was just paranoid b/c I can't afford to lose any downtime if something went wrong after the installation. Secondly, I couldn't justify spending the cash for the new drive, installation charge, and reinstalling the data. I read reviews on the web about how the wd passport drive has trouble being powered up by the ibook usb ports but I can confirm that there has been no problems so far as I have transferred over 100 gigs of data to my new drive without a hiccup.

I am using Itunes 7 and i simply transferred my library over to the external and changed the appropriate settings and everything is working perfectly fine!!! (my growing itunes library was my main reason for the need of a bigger drive). Once I have more time I want to configure my Iphoto to the external drive as well.

So all in all, if you can afford to get the internal upgraded go for it! But the ibook is an old machine and my friends kept telling me it wasn't worth it and I can agree the external route seems to be the best option for most of us ibook users!

Sorry for the babbling but it may be useful info for someone else in my shoes and wary about the performance of the wd passport drive.

Peace!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.