hard drive problems

Reaction score
I've been trying to get some important videos and pictures off of a hard drive that is simply unresponsive. It is a ExcelStor J240 ATA100 drive.

Mechanically it spins up, and sounds normal, but it doesnt show up in System Profiler, Disk Utility, TechTool deluxe, Disk Warrior, Data Rescue II or anything else ive tried.

Also note that it is the 3.5 drive from an external firewire drive. ive put it in 4 enclosures, a Lacie Firewire case (i think its for IDE though), its original case, a Powermac G3 B&W REV 1, a Powermac G4 sawtooth. and still nothing!! this is killing me

Besides the original case, i don't know if it is supposed work in any of these other ones i've tried. whne i put it in the original case it wont spin up until i unplug the firewire cable from on of the ports and replug it in to the other... its so confusing.. and priceless memories are stuck inside it

Can someone please help me?

thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Give it a shot in your computer. Make sure the jumper settings are set to slave and you might have to adjust your master hard drive for master w/ slave instead of just primary(or master only). If it doesn't work on your mac you could give a Windows (shutter) or Linux computer a shot. if neither of these work then it looks like your hard drive is toast. good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.