• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Omg Help!!!!!!

C

cory

Ok well yes i have a PC as well as a Mac.. ok heres the story.. i was on the PC this mourning checking my email and such. I havent turned off the computer in a little while like 4 days or something so idecided to. Then i got home and tried to turn it on and it wont turn.. The power light comes on but no noise comes out of the computer. Like i cant hear the hard drive booting up or anything. The hard drive light doesnt flash or anything but the power light just comes on and off... ahh my guess is the hard drive crashed. Anyone know about this please help! If there is a way that I could tell for sure what the problem is let me know cuase i would love to not have to take it to a repair man and just order another hard drive if this is the case.. Thank you! Guys

PS maybe it died for a reason...maybe its saying Cory enough with this PC stuff get a dual 2.5 G5 PowerMac...hhahah ohhh that would be wonderful.. to pricey though. I love my 1.25 G4 Powerbook and cant wait for the G5 powerbook someday. Oo and this weekend i am off to get the 23"inch display whew im excited...then hook that up to my powerbook and it will be o so gorgious!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.6ghz Quad Xeon, 23" Cinema
Check to make sure the CPU is still connected all the way. Try a different power supply.

OP
C

cory

gort said:
Check to make sure the CPU is still connected all the way. Try a different power supply.

I took the computer and unplugged everything from it and just plgued the power cord in a outlet and still nothing.. is that what you saying? or open the machine up? cause yea if i could open it up and you said well if blah blah blah is there then the harddrive is gone or something.. see i dont know much about fixing computers..hahah thank you soo much for your help!

OP
P

PinkPhishDoors

No, i think what he is saying is that you need to open up your computer make a very detailed look through and make sure that there is no loose wires around the processor. It is probably not your HD because if it was then the BIOS would still boot up. make sure the motherboard still has the power connected.

OP
V

vuschejan

anarkhy said:
No, i think what he is saying is that you need to open up your computer make a very detailed look through and make sure that there is no loose wires around the processor. It is probably not your HD because if it was then the BIOS would still boot up. make sure the motherboard still has the power connected.
Unless he has a faulty ROM chip....

OP
C

cory

awesome! yea ill open it up and check around. Becuase what happened was this. Check it out. Last night my friend was like well sometimes the wires get stuck or something so give it a jolt then try it. So after like 6 jolts and pushed the power and heard it boot up. I didnt have anything connected to it so icouldnt test it. Then i shut it down and turned it back on and it worked again. Then for some reason it didnt for a little while and i shook it and it worked again then now its not working.. haha so its like random. So what do you guys think? Should i take to a computer store. there gonna charge me like 30 bucks or more to even look at it? Thank you guys soo much!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Sounds pretty much like something's loose inside...

Open it (after disconnecting the power cable, of course!) and check all connectors and cards. Try again after that, If the problem persists, get it repaired.

OP
C

cory

Avalon said:
Sounds pretty much like something's loose inside...

Open it (after disconnecting the power cable, of course!) and check all connectors and cards. Try again after that, If the problem persists, get it repaired.

thank you very much! You guys are all soo stinkin awesome<3

OP
P

psychotoe

If you have a spare HD trying connecting it. Just to see if it boots, this can be and early indication that you HD is going.

Why would you use your pc for mail, use your Mac **** it!!! :p

OP
C

cardwellm

cory said:
Ok well yes i have a PC as well as a Mac.. ok heres the story.. i was on the PC this mourning checking my email and such. I havent turned off the computer in a little while like 4 days or something so idecided to. Then i got home and tried to turn it on and it wont turn.. The power light comes on but no noise comes out of the computer. Like i cant hear the hard drive booting up or anything. The hard drive light doesnt flash or anything but the power light just comes on and off... ahh my guess is the hard drive crashed. Anyone know about this please help! If there is a way that I could tell for sure what the problem is let me know cuase i would love to not have to take it to a repair man and just order another hard drive if this is the case.. Thank you! Guys

PS maybe it died for a reason...maybe its saying Cory enough with this PC stuff get a dual 2.5 G5 PowerMac...hhahah ohhh that would be wonderful.. to pricey though. I love my 1.25 G4 Powerbook and cant wait for the G5 powerbook someday. Oo and this weekend i am off to get the 23"inch display whew im excited...then hook that up to my powerbook and it will be o so gorgious!

I used to fix PC's for a living. Try these steps:

* Don't worry about the hard drive, even if the hard drive were to fail you would still get to BIOS (the screen where the memory is tested, etc.)
1) Check that all cables, especially IDE cables (the ribbon ones coming out of hard drives and CD-ROMS, etc.) are firmly connected. Also check that the power cables going in to all devices are firmly connected, not halfway in or anything.
2) There is a big power cable coming from the power supply that plugs into the motherboard. It has many wires. Unplug it, and plug it back in, making sure that it is all the way in.
3) Check that all PCI cards, such as your graphics card, are into the slots ALL THE WAY. This is a very common cause of your symptoms.

If these steps don't help let us know. One possibility (there are, of course, many reasons that it could be, but this is a good guess) is that the power supply has failed. This wouldn't be so bad, because the power supply is inexpensive and easy to replace. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.