Cannot create stacks with Folders

Reaction score
Hi,
I just picked up a MacBook and am using OSX for the first time.
I am having a hard time figuring things out like Home,Computer,My name and MAc HDD and there differences. I'm used to Windows where you open my computer and access all your files.
Another problem I'm having is not being able to drag a Folder from anywhere in Finder into my Dock and creating a Stack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You can only create stacks on the right side of the dock.

Mac HDD pretty close to "My Computer" on Windows, except that it's the drive itself, not the container to display the drives as on Windows. If you have another drive, it will show up on the desktop (and in the Finder Sidebar) on it's own.

All of the others are just different ways to access you information or various parts of it. You can edit what is displayed in the Finder Windows sidebar by clicking FINDER > PREFERENCES > Sidebar and checking what you want to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
well, Home, and Your Name should be the name thing, which is like 'My Documents' on windows. The Mac HDD is like your C: Drive

Just like as with windows, you should stay away from any files that aren't in your Home folder, except for the Application folder. there is already a lot of threads on installing apps and the basics of macs, i'm sure if you do a search you can find a lot.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks guys,that helped.
I like having control over my comp and HDD. So I'm trying to figure out how to do regular maintenance on it like disk cleaning ,defragging. Or does OSX even need that and can it be done without doing a fresh install?
Also...is there something comparable to device manage?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks guys,that helped.
I like having control over my comp and HDD. So I'm trying to figure out how to do regular maintenance on it like disk cleaning ,defragging. Or does OSX even need that and can it be done without doing a fresh install?
Also...is there something comparable to device manage?

I'd recommend using the search function. You'll find lots of good information for those questions.

Reaction score
basicaly, "my computer" from windows is like the desktop on Mac OS X because everything connected will show up.

OP
M
Reaction score
I'd recommend using the search function. You'll find lots of good information for those questions.

So that makes this section of the forum rather redundant and therefor pointless then no? I don't imagine there is anything discussed in here that hasn't already been discussed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So that makes this section of the forum rather redundant and therefor pointless then no? I don't imagine there is anything discussed in here that hasn't already been discussed.

If you choose to think that way sure. Don't post.

However, there are of course very basic concepts, like the one you asked that will have been answered over and over that if you search you can find good information.

There will also be unique situations or situations covering new software, hardware, etc that will require new threads. There's nothing wrong with searching first. Of course that's also in our forum rules and the forum etiquette thread you were asked to read when you joined. ;)

Reaction score
Lake Lyantonde, Fort Portal, Western Uganda
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 13", 2.3GHz, 500Gb Solid Stated HD, iPhone 4, iPod Classic
stacs vs Documents

"You can only create stacks on the right side of the dock.

Mac HDD pretty close to "My Computer" on Windows, except that it's the drive itself, not the container to display the drives as on Windows.."

To be honest I am quite confused about organising my files and folders.

1) what do you mean "on the right side of the dock" ?? The dock can be placed bottom/left/right, as you wish.

2) I have great difficulty deciding where to put my folders and files for storage and access. My desktop, only have had my MBP for a few weeks, is becoming crowded with folders. Some are less, some more important. The beauty and the ease of use of Macs has been that you can file and organise easily. I have been forced to be on a PC for the last 2 years (with previous 20+ on Macs) and now having come back have to a Mac I have to think hard rather than intuitively know where to put stuff.... Any simple hints for me, please?

C

chas_m

If you're unwilling to get OUT of the Windows mindset, unwilling to UNlearn the bad practices and inefficient ways of the PC, you may want to consider taking your Mac back and sticking with a PC.

The Mac IS NOT A PC and until you really understand this you're going to be frustrated.

To answer your latest questions:

1. the dock is by default on the bottom, so the right side of the dock is the side that is closest to your right hand. You'll notice a small dividing line that separates Application icons from Folder icons. Folders can only be placed on the right portion. Once the folder is there, it by default becomes a "stack," but if you right-click on the stack you get the options to change it back to a folder and other things.

2. Stop putting files on your desktop, that's silly. Whenever you come across a problem like this one, STOP and think to yourself "what would be an elegant solution for this problem if I were designing this OS?" That will usually lead you to the correct answer.

In this case, you have a Home folder (as does every Mac user). It's even got your name on it, you created it yourself when you first turned on the Mac and answered those questions. If it's not already in your Dock, you should open the hard drive, open Users, and drag it from there to your Dock (this doesn't actually move the file, it creates a "shortcut."

The files and folders should be put into your Home folder in the appropriate category (and you can create category folders if you like). You'll still have one-click access to everything, it just won't be all cluttery anymore.

3. Check out my essay, linked below.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
If you were using Macs for 20 years, except for the last two years, then the file organization system now is pretty much the same as it was in 2009 or 2008.

Reaction score
Lake Lyantonde, Fort Portal, Western Uganda
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 13", 2.3GHz, 500Gb Solid Stated HD, iPhone 4, iPod Classic
If you were using Macs for 20 years, except for the last two years, then the file organization system now is pretty much the same as it was in 2009 or 2008.

well... I stopped using PB in 2008, it got knicked and I moved to Mac-unfriendly country anyway. Filing was different on Classic and OS9 (my last dual boot PB) and Stacks are new. Getting the hang of it again but really wanted to know what do people do? Stick the folders into Documents and Stack only the most frequent ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Getting the hang of it again but really wanted to know what do people do? Stick the folders into Documents and Stack only the most frequent ones?

Yes, that's what I do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.