internal dvd burner for g4 powermac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 powermac
I am looking for an internal dvd burner. I have looked at the pioneer from mac warehouse but I saw on another forum that any dvd burner would work. This did not sound right to me so I wanted to ask the folks I trust.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 powermac
I actually looked on the bestbuy site this morning and found where someone had reviewed an internal pioneer drive and said that in their experience any of pioneer drive were compatible with a mac. So that is the second time that I have been steered towards the thought that any drive will work, is this true or are there things that make a drive compatible or incompatible?

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 powermac
Does anyone have any insight at all on this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
The pioneer drives are great and will work in a G4, works in mine, it was a 110D

Yes, some burners may not work, so go for the Pioneer drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I purchases a Pioneer 112D from Macsales.com for $30 or so. It works great. You will need to go to patchburn.de and download the file there to get the burner to work properly with iLife apps but only if you are using 10.4 or lower. Leopard doesn't need Patchburn.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 powermac
thanks so much fro the feedback that helps alot. I actually need the dvd drive that I can upgrade from panther.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 powermac
ok I picked up the pioneer internal drive over the weekend and I went to throw it in really quick so I could try it out and I am having a bit of trouble getting access to remove the old drive. it almost looks like I need to remove the power supply to enough room to get the old drive out. Does anyone have some tips that might make this a little easier?

I am using a power mac g4 quicksilver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.