Downgrade from Leopard to Tiger

Reaction score
Hi All,

We need to purchase about 40 new IMACS at work to replace Emacs, we have heard nightmare stories about Leopard not functioning with Active Directory and not working with older applications, etc. Can you downgrade the OS on newly purchased hardware to Tiger or must you use Leopard? We are not mac pro's so if anyone can give us a pro's and con's of staying with Leopard or downgrading that would be great.

Thanks,

Greg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
If you can get a retail copy of Tiger, sure you can do so. Or you can partition the hard drive and put Tiger onto the new partition and boot into Tiger (like you would with Bootcamp). You can still run all the apps from the Leopard partition while running Tiger.

I would do the 2nd because you can get both Tiger and Leopard. I have Leopard and have no personal problems with it, though that may not mean much to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
OP
G
Reaction score
Why would we have to have a retail copy, does it do some type of version checking based on hardware revision?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I would suggest that you get at least one copy of Leopard and test it out with your actual AD setup and applications before you base any 40-seat deployment decisions on "nightmare stories" you have "heard."

F

Fallooza

...also i dont think you can buy a intel version of tiger. all intel macs had tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Why would we have to have a retail copy, does it do some type of version checking based on hardware revision?

No, but any other way of getting tiger would be illegal and to but tiger on your new Macs your going to have to buy tiger as the newer Macs come with Leopard... not tiger... and as everyone suggests just get one new Mac at first (with leopard) and test out leopard so you know if you have to go through the hassle of putting Tiger on all the new machines.

Reaction score
Not to put too fine a point on it: there is no version of Tiger that you can (legally) buy that will work on an Intel chipped Mac. Leopard works fine under Active Directory. There are old programs that won't work with Leopard, but do you really want them? Are there alternatives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to specify! :)
I need to downgrade from Leopard to Tiger, but I need to do so in a way that will keep my Creative Suite (original CS) installations. My predecessor here walked off with the disks when he was let go and now we are without the disks or serial number for CS. Any ideas?

F

Fallooza

I need to downgrade from Leopard to Tiger, but I need to do so in a way that will keep my Creative Suite (original CS) installations. My predecessor here walked off with the disks when he was let go and now we are without the disks or serial number for CS. Any ideas?

why do ya need ta down grade?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
...also i dont think you can buy a intel version of tiger.
Exactly. There isn't any retail version of Tiger that you could purchase to install on the Intel machines anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Buy a new version of the Adobe Suite. That or go after the person who left and took the discs (if they weren't his to begin with, if they were his then you are out of luck).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many to specify! :)
why do ya need ta down grade?

We haven't implemented 10.5 company wide and we need to send this machine that we were using as a 10.5 test computer to someone in the field, thus the need to reload 10.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
So If I wanted to downgrade to 10.4 from 10.5 then I can do a "simple upgrade" to go back down to it. Or do I have to archive and install or clean install?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Archive and install or a clean install. The upgrade install will not work from 10.5 to 10.4, since it is not an upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 GHz MBP, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD
Ok thanks, archive and install it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You could also partition your HDD and install Leopard on the new partition. Since you can still access the other partition when you boot into Tiger, you can still access your apps from the other partition without a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 500 GB 4 GB RAM
Mac Newbie

Hello,
I'm a newbie to the MAC world. I just purchased an IMAC with Leopard installed. I need Tiger since I want to run Pro Tools. From what I've gathered throughout the forums, I need to do an Archive and install or a clean install. I understand the concept but is there some kind of tutorial floating around that I can use. I don't want to ruin a new computer.

Also, how do I partition a HD.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello,
I'm a newbie to the MAC world. I just purchased an IMAC with Leopard installed. I need Tiger since I want to run Pro Tools. From what I've gathered throughout the forums, I need to do an Archive and install or a clean install. I understand the concept but is there some kind of tutorial floating around that I can use. I don't want to ruin a new computer.

Also, how do I partition a HD.

Thanks in advance.

PMed you.

I will copy and paste my PM in a reply to this post bellow for everyone else's reference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's only because of one or two I'd recommend partitioning your harddrive into to sections. You do this in "Disk Utility". Open Disk Utility, select the internal harddrive from the left hand side (the top one, not the "Macintosh HD"), then click the Partition tab in the right hand side, then click the little plus under the diagram that shows how much is being used from the harddrive. Then size the second partition and give it a name ("Tiger" would be logical, but anything you want works). Then get a Tiger install disc and put it in the computer. It will tell you to reboot from the disc, do so. Once it comes up tell it to do a clean install and it will ask you what drive to install it on, just select the new partition that you will put Tiger on. Let it install. Once installed, you select what to boot into by holding down the Option (Alt) key at bootup (just like with bootcamp and windows). You can access your Leopard files when in Tiger, and vice versa. So I'd suggest making the Tiger partition just big enough to hold the Tiger instillation and the application(s) that need Tiger, plus a bit of excess for various files ProTools writes and software updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.