Keyboard Doesn't work with emulators??

Reaction score
I have a power Mac G5 running Leopard using the keyboard that was shipped with it. The keyboard doesn't work with any of the emulators I have downloaded such as Nestopia, bsnes. I have searched around and no one else who uses nintendo emulators has this problem, so I assume it is something I am missing outside of the Emulator app. I have spoken with the Emulator's creator and he has no idea except that maybe there is third party software interference.

Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Do you have a bluetooth keyboard or USB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just read this blurb about Nestopia.... have you tried this?
One of the first things you should do after downloading the emulator and roms is to configure your keyboard. This can be accomplished by going to the “Joysticks” tab in preferences. There is also an option to download emulator enhancer to configure USB joysticks and gamepads to really relive the experience

OP
J
Reaction score
I just read this blurb about Nestopia.... have you tried this?

Thanks but I have tried to adjust the configuration. Not a single key does anything to affect the app. The only keys that work while the app is up are Function keys for Spaces and Dashboard.

This is really odd. I have also tried using an old mac keyboard... same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I decided to try downloading Nestopia and a Mario Brothers ROM to see if I could figure this out. At first, I thought my keyboard wasn't being recognized either, then I finally realized I just wasn't hitting the right keys.

Make sure you have the latest version (1.37, link below); go to the config menu and use the defaults button; try to start a game by pressing the TAB key.

If this doesn't work, then we need to see if something else is interfering with the emulator. Create a new user and see if it works under that user. If it does, then something in your user's login items or Library is causing a problem.

If it doesn't work under the new user, then it may be something in the root Library. Boot in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while rebooting. You'll know yer in Safe Mode by the text under the progress meter. Once in Safe Mode, try it again. If it still doesn't work, then while still in Safe Mode, log into that new user and try again. Be aware that you likely will have no sound while in Safe Mode... that's normal.

OP
J
Reaction score
I decided to try downloading Nestopia and a Mario Brothers ROM to see if I could figure this out. At first, I thought my keyboard wasn't being recognized either, then I finally realized I just wasn't hitting the right keys.

Make sure you have the latest version (1.37, link below); go to the config menu and use the defaults button; try to start a game by pressing the TAB key.

If this doesn't work, then we need to see if something else is interfering with the emulator. Create a new user and see if it works under that user. If it does, then something in your user's login items or Library is causing a problem.

If it doesn't work under the new user, then it may be something in the root Library. Boot in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while rebooting. You'll know yer in Safe Mode by the text under the progress meter. Once in Safe Mode, try it again. If it still doesn't work, then while still in Safe Mode, log into that new user and try again. Be aware that you likely will have no sound while in Safe Mode... that's normal.

Thanks, I would have never figured that out. It works with a new user however it is unable to launch on safe mode (not sure that matters at this point however). SO, any ideas what would cause the interference? I would really not like to have a new user just for using an emulator.

Thanks again though, I appreciate it your fast responses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great.... so clearly we have a problem with something that is loading for your original user. Next thing to try is going to the System Preferences > Accounts and make a note of all the login items for your user. Then remove them all. Reboot and see if the emulator works. If so, then one of those items was the problem. It's just a matter of re-adding them one at a time to see what the culprit was.

If removing those doesn't do the trick, then something is foul in your Library. We'll tackle that last if need be.

OP
J
Reaction score
Great.... so clearly we have a problem with something that is loading for your original user. Next thing to try is going to the System Preferences > Accounts and make a note of all the login items for your user. Then remove them all. Reboot and see if the emulator works. If so, then one of those items was the problem. It's just a matter of re-adding them one at a time to see what the culprit was.

If removing those doesn't do the trick, then something is foul in your Library. We'll tackle that last if need be.

That was it. I had four login items. I removed them and it works. I don't know where those login items went...oops. Oh well though, it works and I don't really need those login items anyway. They were iTunes Helper, Quicken, Adobe CS3 updater, and Microsoft AU.

I have a feeling it was the Quicken. Anyway, thanks. Little things like that can really eat at me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.