Ringtones

Reaction score
Hello there.

Ringtones - now. From what i've read and played around with - it seems you cant have the tunes you want to play as a ringtones.

Am I stuck with the basic ringtones apple gave my new iphone :-(

thanks in advance

Mark

Reaction score
This is just an idea maybe you could put which ever song it is in to a garage band project then under share export it to iTunes as a ringtone?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Yes Garageband works but i think its limited to 40secs in length or less

Reaction score
Yer i just tried adding a song then exporting it works fine but is 40 seconds long. I think my mobile goes on to answer phone before 40 seconds anyway.

Reaction score
I use audacity (freeware at sourceforge.net) to cut the clip I want and export it as WAV. Then I use iTunes to convert it to m4a (AAC), rename the file with a .m4r extention, then double-click the .m4r file to automatically import it as a ringtone. A few more steps than using garageband, but it was my understanding that to use garageband, it had to be the one from iLife '08.

Yeah, I was too lame to see if iLife '06's garageband would or would not work. But I like audacity's ability to extract just the portion of the song I want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
You can use Garageband, but you can't use DRM music. So ironically, you can't use iTunes music to make ringtones for your iPhone (unless you pay and they've made it available for a ringtone, of course)

Reaction score
Check out this vid I made it shows you a version of how to do it

hope it helps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36XY0CaH1Y

I just watched it and did not know about the fade option. I don't need it for the ringtone I use (Tommy Tutones 8675309/Jenny), but I'm sure I'll make more as I find better songs to use.

One of the comments there was from someone having problems with LAME. Just FYI - the audacity output can by any format that iTunes understands, so mp3 is not required. I didn't bother with LAME and just save the files at .wav.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.