Customizing Random Screen Savers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.4GHz Core2Duo, 4GB RAM, 200GB 7200 RPM, OS 10.5
I like several of the screen savers, and so would like to have my Mac randomly choose from them when it goes to Screen Saver mode. The thing is, I don't like ALL of them. I'm trying to figure out how I can get the system screen savers (e.g. Arabesque, Flurry, Shell, and the Beach, Cosmos, and Nature pictures) into a folder I created.

OS X lets you select a folder for the screen savers, so if I can just figure out how to get some of Leopard's screen savers into that folder, I'll be fine.

Any advice?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You can copy them from /System/Library/Screen Savers to the folder of your choice. But... I don't think this works like you think it will. When I select "Use Random... ", I lose my selected Saver, even a "chosen" folder. But I could be wrong... copy away and try it.

OP
Mac_Biodiesel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't see the screen saver files when I navigate around the Finder windows. The directories pop up empty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I misunderstood your original post. You want to find the pictures used by the various Picture Screen Saver options in OS X and lump them all together to use as one Picture Screen Saver?

OP
Mac_Biodiesel
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I want to use the Random Screen Saver option, but I want to specify a list of screen savers it can pick from. I don't want Computer Name, Word of the Day, or iTunes Library to be selected. I'm not interested in the static pictures, either.

After playing around with it a bit more, I don't think it's possible. Like someone mentioned earlier, as soon as you click "Random", the other options are disabled. Oh well....

I'd still like to be able to locate the actual file that is the screen saver in the Finder. I think its extension is ".saver". Or is that a part of the OS that won't be visible to any users? Do I need to have Root access?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give this module a whirl:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16845

It lets you pick and choose which existing modules you want to randomize.

Oh yes... the screen savers are found in /Library/Screen Savers and ~/Library/Screen Savers and /System/Library/Screen Savers. The .Mac screen saver module is invisible due to the . in front of the name, so you'll haveta turn on viewing invisible files to see it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.