Whats the deal with iChat?

Reaction score
I have been using skype for some time but I wanted to start using iChat for screen sharing. So I opened up iChat for the first time and followed all the instructions and all I get is the Bonjour window. I can't add buddies, I can't do anything. Whats the deal, I have a .mac account?

Thanks,
Vnote

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I have been a long time Skype user, I do not have a .MAC account, but just the other evening i registered an AIM account and can now use all the features of iChat including screen sharing.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do your buddies have a .Mac account?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Thats what I was afraid of. I didn't want to use AIM

You aren't using AIM, just the AIM account within the iChat app

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
I have been a long time Skype user, I do not have a .MAC account, but just the other evening i registered an AIM account and can now use all the features of iChat including screen sharing.

It's a Mac. Not a MAC. MAC is an acronym for Media Access Control, a network thingy whippersnappers can understand.

A Friendly Message from iRye :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
iChat allows .mac accounts, AIM and Gtalk accounts. You can also use jabber with it's complicated procedure...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.