I just made the switch... no looking back!

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a long time PC user... that now has a macbook.

To be honest, I grew up with macs while I was in school using some old school PowerPc's and the classic OS, and I'm surprised to see how this new OS X works. The main reason why I stopped buying PC's is, well... I hate Vista.

Yes, I'll say that again.... I hate Vista.

I'm 21 years old and have been using windows since I was 9. My Dad got a Lenovo thinkpad with Vista Business and the stupid thing crashes and falters all the time. Since then I thought I was doomed to use XP until Microsoft came out with another OS, probably another 6 or 7 years later.

Then I discovered the Mac all over again, a few of my friends have them... but to honest, for the longest time I always thought they were for computer illiterate people that were doing graphic work.

I could go on, but pretty much, I've had my macbook since christmas and I am loving it. my 2 laptop pc's and my dell can go the trash can, but I'll keep my alienware just cause it looks cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
congrats on the new mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - MacBook Pro - iPhone - Nano - Touch
Glad you switched. I use my old AMD gaming PC as a night stand :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Congrats on the new Mac.

... and on the contrary, the people doing graphics work are some of the most computer literate people you could meet. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook
Grats on the switch. I recommend getting a airport extreme and seeing what wireless at almost 100% signal is like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac book. Very sleek.
I've read windows 2000 was pretty awful when it first came out and was quickly swept under the rug with xp. I'd imagine vista might follow 2000 but I've got absalutely nothing to support that other than I can't imagine microsoft leaving there flagship system in such a horrible state for so long. Anyway nice for you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core2Duo 1GB 667MHz DDR2SDRAM 120GB HD | iPod Video 80GB White | iPhone 8GB
Congrats on the new Mac!

..and I agree with D3v1L80Y, the people doing all the painstaking graphics work are the most computer-literate people that you can meet. :)

Oh, and welcome to MF! Enjoy your stay! :D

OP
Z
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I'm sure I'll right at home with my new Mac brethren. I'll have something to contribute to the forum once I get comfortable with this thing, but hey... if any of you guys get a blue screen of death I can help with that! (Hahah, not like its going to happen on a Mac, but I thought I would offer)

Oh also, I have an old school Vaio that has windows me/2000. Lamest OS in the history of OS's, no doubt.

And... one more thing, isn't an airport extreme just like a regular router? I'm using a netgear 108 mps in my room so the signal strength is 5 bars, is there any reason to switch? My mac likes it just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Duo White
Congrats and welcome.
It appears that Vista has turned a significant number of people over to the Mac. For one my cousin, who was a die-hard Windows user who thought Macs were toys and would never be considered productive.

Reaction score
hehe, im the same as you are Zerodynamic. i used pcs for so long and i was annoyed at how Vista AND XP operated, made the switch to a Macbook Pro with Leopard and i am absolutely loving it :D have fun with your new mac!

Reaction score
I just bought a 20" iMac myself and can't believe what I've been missing out on. OSX makes things so simple that Windows tries to complicate.

Reaction score
I've read windows 2000 was pretty awful when it first came out and was quickly swept under the rug with xp. I'd imagine vista might follow 2000 but I've got absalutely nothing to support that other than I can't imagine microsoft leaving there flagship system in such a horrible state for so long. Anyway nice for you!

Vista is more like ME than 2000. And its not HORRIBLE, its just... not nearly as well designed as XP. SP1 is supposed to fix a lot of things, but thankfully I still have XP on my desktop, and only run Vista on the lap.

Reaction score
Im a relatively new Mac user, only been using them for a matter of months.. before that I was a 90% Windows user, 10% DOS user (Now I feel old, lol). Now Im 100% Mac user and I'll never look back, I love OSX more than any other operating system Ive ever used.. it makes computing an absolute pleasure, even the seemingly mundane tasks are a joy in OSX.

As for Windows 2000, it was actually quite a good OS in its day and imo can still hold its own in certain configurations today, as far as Windows releases go anyway. I believe the reason it got bad press is because it wasnt as consumer-friendly as some would have liked and because it wouldnt do gaming quite as well as Microsoft had originally said it would (during the early betas). Originally it was supposed to be the final nail in the coffin of Win9x, switching everything over to the NT kernel, but plans changed and it didnt manage to achieve this satisfactorily so was marketed as a business OS.

But anyway as far as Im concerned, except in certain circumstances, Windows is no longer relevant for me... Im totally Mac now and wouldnt have it any other way. I still run XP Pro under vmware for some specific tasks, but I'd never use Windows on its own.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.